You think that your unknown organism does not ferment mannitol. There are two tests that you can perform to determine if your unknown organism ferments mannitol. What are the two tests?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 1:07 am ad1c9bdddf
You can test for the fermentation of mannitol is by using Phenol Red- Mannitol broth. This culture medium is just like Glucose, Lactose, and Sucrose tubes except that Mannitol is the fermentable organic compound. Phenol-Red is red at pH > 7. When a microbe is ...
This solution lists two tests for Mannitol digestion that can be performed if you have an unknown organism. Digestion tests like the Mannitol test help determine what kind of organism you have when species and type are unknown.
Microbiology Study Questions
51. Explain how capsules and cell wall components contribute to pathogenicity.
52. Discuss the causes of symptoms in fungal, protozoan, helminthic, and algal diseases.
53. Name the microbes that produce most of the antibiotics.
54. Identify five modes of action of antimicrobial drugs.
55. Describe inhibition of protein synthesis by antibiotics.
56. Describe the spectrum of antibiotic activity
57. Describe characteristics of antifungal drugs.
58. Identify the IMViC reactions for E.coli
59. Describe biochemical tests that differentiate Staphylococcus aureus from Staphylococcus epidermidis.
60. Use of DNA probe and PCR to identify bacteria and determine which ones are closely related.
61. The life cycle, definitive and intermediate host, and phylum of Clonorchis sinensis]
62. Mode of action for antibiotics; such as Penicillin, Indinavir, and others as presented in the online lesson, lab, or text questions.
63. Gram negative and acid fast negative staining and virus culture identification. What is the order of completion and why, and the identification of a virus class.