Part A: Write a brief essay on sports and what sociology offers, as a way to understand it from a human experience
Why do so many people participate in sports, either as fans, players, or as a business?
What do sports answer in terms of human needs?
How can sports be explained from a sociological point of view?
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. You are being asked to write an essay on the topic of sports from a sociological viewpoint. You have been given 3 questions to answer in this essay as well. While it might appear to be complex, remember that you are being asked to answer briefly - this means as 'short' as possible. As a solution to this problem, it would be best to have an outline to follow. I suggest the following:
1. What is sports and why do people participate in it? Discuss participation as a form of leisure, athleticism, fandom and business. About 150 words.
2. Sports and human needs - what does sports answer, in your opinion, in terms of human need? About 150 words.
3. What is sports, sociologically speaking? Here, I propose using a sociological perspective (i.e. the conflict perspective). About 150 words.
The solution below utilizes this outline to attempt at providing a sample narrative that can help you in putting together your own. If you have any questions, just let me know via the feedback section. Good luck with your studies.
OTA 105878/Xenia Jones
Sports as a Human Activity
What is sports? Sports are those physical activities ...
The solution provides information assistance and advise on the topic of sports and its social importance as a human experience from a sociological viewpoint. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic. A word version of the solution is also attached.
Sociology of Sports: sponsorship of athletic events by wealthy and why soccer is not more popular in U.S.
1) Wealthy and powerful people in many Western societies have sponsored organized, competitive sports; in fact, they have given billions of dollars every year to make sure these sports are publicized, promoted, and played for spectators around the world. This is interesting because many of these sports do not make money for sponsors. So why do wealthy and powerful people continue to sponsor sports rather than using their money in other ways?
2) "Soccer has not become a widely successful professional sport because it isn't American enough." Discuss the accuracy of this statement in light of information from this unit and then explain whether you agree with it or not.View Full Posting Details