Select a movie or TV show that effectively communicates the culture, values and norms of a society which is different from your own. Ideally this movie or TV show would be a foreign film complete with subtitles. The movie or TV show should provide you with a glimpse of what life is like in another culture. The process of watching this movie or TV show should provide you with a unique cultural experience. Watch this movie / TV show and use your reactions as part of your response to the following topic:
Define ethnocentrism and how it affects individuals, societies, and multinational corporations. Your paper should provide a comprehensive overview of the concept of ethnocentrism. You should use your cultural experience of watching the selected movie or TV show to discuss the affect of ethnocentrism on individuals, societies and multinational corporations. Please feel free to use any person experiences which you may have had visiting different countries around the world as part of this paper. However, do not let your personal experiences with other cultures be the focal point of this paper. The focal point of the paper is your cultural experience watching the selected movie or TV show and then your comprehensive overview of the concept of ethnocentrism.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 9:11 pm ad1c9bdddf
1. Watch this movie / TV show and use your reactions as part of your response to the following topic: Define ethnocentrism and how it affects individuals, societies, and multinational corporations
Let's go with a TV show called LatinEyes, which effectively communicates the culture, values and norms of a society which is different from your own.
"Ethnocentrism" is a commonly used word in circles where ethnicity, inter-ethnic relations, and similar social issues are of concern.
One definition of the term is "thinking one's own group's ways are superior to others" or "judging other groups as inferior to one's own". "Ethnic" refers to cultural heritage, and "centrism" refers to the central starting point... so "ethnocentrism" basically refers to judging other groups from our own cultural point of view. http://www.iupui.edu/~anthkb/ethnocen.htm/
In relation to society and MNC's, Shimp, Sharma, Shin [1992, p.5, as cited in http://epub.wu-wien.ac.at/dyn/virlib/wp/eng/mediate/epub-wu-01_34f.pdf?ID=epub-wu-01_34f] state the characteristics of consumer ethnocentrism as follows:
- Consumer ethnocentrism results from the love and concern for one's own country and the fear of losing control of one´s economic interests as the result of the harmful effects that imports may have on oneself and countrymen.
- It contains the intention or willingness not to purchase foreign products. For ethnocentric consumers, buying foreign products is not only an economic issue but also a moral problem. This moral aspect causes consumers to purchase domestic products even though, in extreme cases, the quality is below that of imports. Not buying foreign imports is good, appropriate,
desirable, and patriotic; buying them is bad, inappropriate, undesirable, and irresponsible.
- It refers to a personal level of prejudices against imports, although it may be assumed that the overall level of consumer ethnocentricity in a social system is the aggregation of individual tendendies (see http://epub.wu-wien.ac.at/dyn/virlib/wp/eng/mediate/epub-wu-01_34f.pdf?ID=epub-wu-01_34f for a detained discussion).
From the same source:
Many comments on the importance of cultural aspects in international companies' strategies can be found in management literature. Adler [1991, p.19] for example differentiates cultures according to the following basic dimensions:
- people's qualities as individuals (Who am I?)
Through illustrative example, this solution explains the cultural experience from watching the selected movie or TV show. It also overviews the concept of ethnocentrism in relation to the individual, societies and multinational corporations. Links are also provided for further research. 1452 words.