1. Can you explain how culture differences play a major role in parochialism and ethnocentrism.
2. When employees exhibit both parochialism and ethnocentrism what are some of the typical behaviors?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:50 am ad1c9bdddf
Cultural differences can play a major role in parochialism and ethnocentrism. Culture refers to the characteristics of a particular group. These characteristics are built with a system of values and beliefs. A group may support the value of focusing on small sectors of an issue. The result will be parochialism. Persons belonging to that group develop a narrow outlook and are narrow minded. Similarly, the ...
Differences in culture are discussed step-by-step in this solution. The response also has the sources used.
Effects of Parochialism and Ethnocentrism
1. What are the effects of parochialism and ethnocentrism? How would employees behave if they had those characteristics? How would one respond to workers from another country if they demonstrated those traits?
2. Theory Z adapts selected Japanese management practices to the U.S. environment. Speculate on the reasons some US employees working for a Theory Z organization might still resist those practices. Now create a Theory ZZ approach in which American practices would be adapted to the Japanese environment and culture. What might Theory ZZ be like, and how would it be received?
3. The management of a health-conscious firm wants to stamp out smoking among its employees. A senior vice president asks you to devise a program that would use reinforcement to help people stop smoking. What steps would you recommend?
4. Why is a strong-culture organization at risk of being unresponsive to change? Why is a change in top management often desirable when an organization's culture is no longer adaptive?View Full Posting Details