In many cities throughout the United States, the prevalence of hate crimes has increased. You have been asked to provide your insight into this and recommed ways to decrease the occurrence of these types of crimes. I have to research the topic of hate crimes and address the following:
1. Create a profile of the typical individual who commits hate crimes.
2. What are some of the causes of these crimes?
By example, this solution assists in crimes and creates a profile of the typical individual who commits hate crimes. It also discusses some of the causes of these crimes. Supplemented with an article on hate crimes and references are provided.
Case Study: Society, The Basics
Read the sociology case study from Macionis, J. (2011), "Society, The Basics".
1. Why would John be considered a deviant? What social foundations of deviance appear to be evident in this case?
2. Examine the three theoretical foundations of deviance (structural-functional, symbolic-interaction, and social-conflict). Determine which foundation applies to John's situation and why. Give specific examples.
3. Choose three theories, one within each theoretical foundation, those apply to this case. If a foundation does not have an applicable theory, state why and what behavior could have been exhibited that would have reflected that.