From the second e-Activity article, there is a growing trend of people in the U.S. identifying themselves as biracial. Discuss the sociological implications of this trend.
•Explain why race and ethnicity should be defining terms about an individual.
E-Activity reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us/30mixed.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 12:18 pm ad1c9bdddf
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. In this particular task you are being asked to reflect on the notion of race and identity. I suggest using this simple outline:
1. Biraciality - 100 words
2. Notion of Identity - 100 words
3. Sociological impact - 100 words
This outline should yield 300 words which should cover what you need. Concentrate on some key sociological concepts and that should allow you to touch on theories. Just let me know via the feedback section if you need further clarification. You can also use the listed resources to further explore the topic. All the best with your studies.
AE 105878/xenia Jones
On Biracial Identity
According to Rockquemore (Smith 2013), "There is still a social reality for race that we have yet to come to grips with. If you have a racial identity that does not neatly fit into this reality, how do you experience the world? How do others see you? How do you see yourself?" This is the fundamental idea behind being biracial - wherein the parents of an individual come from 2 different ethnicities, 2 different races and, while sharing common culture (i.e. Mass American culture), at the core of each parent is a unique identification to a particular culture. The children of unions of people from 2 differing cultures are known as ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above) on the topic of biraciality/being multiracial from a sociological perspective. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.
Biracial Perspectives (School Counseling)
Using information from the article by Wright et al., describe the major issues, themes, needs, and challenges that biracial individuals face.
- Identify effective interventions for biracial individuals in the workplace.
- Describe how biracial individuals are similar to and different from other groups.
- Describe what current researchers say about these issues.
- Apply your findings to how these issues and ideas support cultural sensitivity and positive interactions in the workplace.
- Discuss how these findings promote fair and equal treatment and consideration for the biracial individual.
- Further, you may address the issue of the term "biracial" in your response.