Critical thinking involves a set of skills that will help you distinguish arguments based on solidly grounded evidence from those that do not.
Here are eight guidelines that should be followed to ensure critical and scientific thinking in psychology.
1) Ask Questions; Be willing to Wonder
2) Define your terms
3) Examine the evidence
4) Analyze Assumptions and Biases
5) Avoid Emotional Reasoning
6) Don't oversimplify
7) Consider Other Interpretations
8) Tolerate uncertainty
1) Based upon the eight guidelines above, what guidelines were validated in the scenario below?
2) Briefly explain the meaning of the guideline or guidelines that you chose.
3) Based on the eight guidelines how can you help others to keep an open mind and think critically?
Here is the scenario:
Due to erroneous research published in the late 1990s and early 2000s, many people believed that vaccines cause autism, despite clear and conclusive scientific evidence to the contrary.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com July 20, 2018, 4:24 pm ad1c9bdddf
1) The guidelines that were validated in this scenario below were guideline number one, guideline number three, guideline number four, guideline number five, and guideline number seven.
2) The meaning of guideline number one is to basically be willing to question any information that you receive, and not accept it on face value. The meaning of guideline number three is to examine all of the evidence surrounding a given situation or set of data, in order to be able to make a more effective decision concerning the data. Guideline number ...
This solution describes the importance of scientific and critical thinking.