I need some assistance to help guide me through this task. I want to do project on a well documented historical case study of an individual who experienced a neurological disorder, disease, or accident that resulted in an interruption in his or her vision, hearing, or motor control. I need to create a presentation including the following:
• What neurological disorder, disease, or accident took place to interrupt this individual's ability?
• What behaviors were exhibited by this individual following the disorder, disease, or accident?
• What were the individual's deficits as a result of this disorder, disease, or accident?
• What treatments did the individual seek? Were any available at the time?
• What implications would a well documented historical case study of an individual who experienced a neurological disorder, disease, or accident that resulted in an interruption in his or her vision, hearing, or motor control have in terms of research? How did this help scientists and doctors better understand the disorder or disease? How did this case help scientists and doctors better understand how the brain works?
A great case study would be Muhammad Ali. In 1984 Muhammad Ali, a well-known boxer and celebrity, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, which is a progressive disorder causing tremors, stiffness, tiredness, slowing of movement, rigidity, and balance difficulties. In addition to these symptoms, other effects are worsening of speech, memory and mood. Because this disease generally progresses very slowly, those that suffer from it tend to look old, feel old, and lose facial expressions (1).
Parkinson's disease is caused by the progressive loss of dopaminergic neurons. Because of this, most drug treatments consist of drugs that are dopamine precursors, or drugs that mimic dopamine or drugs that prevent or slow down the breakdown of dopamine in the body (1).
Ali tried several various ...
Discusses the case study of the diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease for Muhammad Ali. It discusses how he was diagnosed, what changes in behavior he suffered, the treatments that were used, and how the disease disrupted every aspect of his life.