Scenario: You are chief of police for a midsized city of 75,000 residents. It is experiencing moderate rates of growth of between 3 and 5 percent per year, and its tax base is 60 percent residential or vacant land zoned residential, 30 percent commercial, and 10 percent industrial. One member of your city council perceives that crime in the downtown area is rising too rapidly, which is adversely affecting retail sales in this area of the city. However, data from your department do not support the council member's perception. In fact, crime is lower in the downtown area than in other parts of the city. However, because of population growth, you have an urgent need to add three to five (3-5) new police officers. (You have not added a new officer or any support staff in the past six years.) You currently have 30 uniformed officers and 12 support staff.
Write a 3-4 page budget request to present to the city council for the hiring of three to five (3-5) new police officers. Address the following:
1. Include at least two (2) robust justifications for hiring new police officers. The justification should anticipate the key questions that the chief executive and council will likely ask.
1. If this request is the result of an increased workload, how quickly did the workload increase? Could the increased workload be covered by part-time employees or by shifting employees from another area?
2. How long have you known this need was developing? Was the manager previously briefed on the growing workload?
3. If the request is not funded, what impact will it have on the department? On citizens? (Hint: If your request is not funded this year, managers often look to see if a request is repeatedly put forward to gauge its urgency.)
2. Identify at least two (2) objections to hiring the new police officers that might be raised and explain how you would overcome them with facts and figures
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. For this problem, to make sure that we cover all areas asked of us, it would be best to follow a format. Budget requests are standard processes in all organizations, whether private or otherwise. All organizations must operate under certain budget and when they require new equipment, staff and other necessities important to continue to function or to achieve certain goals, they must request for additional budget to acquire or afford whatever it is that they need.
They do this via budget requests which follow certain protocol dependent upon the company or organization. Additionally, budget requests for new personnel are also quite particular as they will need to be approved by HR and management for the long term. This is very much different from budget request forms for equipment and office materials, for example. But similarly, new personnel hires must be justified in the budget request to merit approval. For this solution, I have borrowed from the examples and templates available for personnel budget requests and created this sample for you below. Your primary solution is attached. It is important to have a 'letter head' and supporting tables. This solution provides a sample letter head and bases new salaries on current pay-scales of US law Enforcement. If you have any questions, just let me know via the feedback section. Good luck with your studies and thank you for using Brainmass.
OTA 105878/Xenia ...
The solution provides information,assistance and advise to help students put together a budget request based on a specific scenario (see above). Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic. An MS-Word version is also attached.