Which of the following cylindrical rods of the same material with its ends at the same steady difference of temperature will conduct maximum heat ?
1. Lenght 100 cm & radius 1 cm
2. length 200 cm & radius 1 cm
3. length 400 cm & radius 2 cm
4. length 100 cm & radius 2 cm© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 24, 2021, 4:47 pm ad1c9bdddf
SOLUTION This solution is FREE courtesy of BrainMass!
We have, the quantity of heat conducted
Q = K A (t1 - t2)/d
(t1 - t2) is the temperature difference existing between the ends of the rod.
Q is proportinal to A/d where A is the area of cross section.
Or we can write, Q proportional to r^2/d
Now we'll examine each case,
1. For this, r^2/d = 1/100 = 0.001
2. here, r^2/d = 1/200 = 0.002
3. r^2/d = 4/400 = 0.001
4. r^2/d = 4/100 = 0.04
Thus, case 4 corresponds to maximum amount of heat transfer.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 24, 2021, 4:47 pm ad1c9bdddf>