Not what you're looking for?
1. Calculate the radius of curvature of the path of a beta particle of mass 9.1 x 10^-31 kg and speed 2.0 x 10^7 m/sec perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.50 T.
a. 0.23 mm
b. .46 mm
c. 0.92 mm
d. 0.051 mm
2. Calculate the radius of curvature of the path of an alpha particle of mass 6.6 x 10^-27 kg moving with a kinetic energy of 8.7 x 10^-14 J in a magnetic field of 1.00 T.
a. 0.22 m
b. 0.11 m
c. .055 m
d. .44 m
3. A sample of polonium has a half-life of 3.0 min and an intial activity of 10 x 10^6 Bq. What is its activity after 30 min have elapsed?
a. 9800 Bq
b. 4600 Bq
c. 19,600 Bq
d. 22,000 Bq
4. The ratio of radioactive to nonradioactive carbon in a sample of wood is found to be one-third that found in a recently cut piece of wood. Approximately how long ago was the first sample cut? The half-life of carbon-14 is 5700 years.
a. 9000 y
b. 4500 y
c. 18,000 y
d. 2250 y
5. What is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle of speed v= 1.70 x10^7 m/s to a gold nucleus of Z = 79? How close would the alpha get to a copper nucleus of Z = 29? Assume that the gold and copper nuclei remain at rest.
a. a) 3.8 x 10^(-14) m b) 1.4 x 10^(-14) m
b. a) 1.9 x 10^(-14) m b) 0.7 x 10^(-14) m
c. a) 7.6 x 10^(-14) m b) 2.8 x 10^(-14) m
d. a) 2.8 x 10^(-14) m b) 2.4 x 10^(-14) m
Purchase this Solution
With complete formulas and calculations, the problems are solved.
m = 9.1 x 10^-31 kg
speed v = 2.0 x 10^7 m/sec
magnetic field B = 0.50 T.
charge q = 1.6)16(-19) C
Lorentz force F = q*v*B = m*v^2/r
=> r = m*v/(q*B)
=> r = 9.1 x 10^(-31)*2.0 x 10^7/(1.6*10^(-19)*0.5)
=> r = 0.0002275 m = 0.2275 mm = 0.23 mm --Answer (a)
radius of curvature r = ?
mass m = 6.6 x 10^-27 kg
kinetic energy E = 0.5*m*v^2 = 8.7 x 10^-14 J
magnetic field B = 1.00 T
charge q = 4*1.6*10^(-19) C = 6.4*10^(-19) ...
- BEng, Allahabad University, India
- MSc , Pune University, India
- PhD (IP), Pune University, India
- " In question 2, you incorrectly add in the $3.00 dividend that was just paid to determine the value of the stock price using the dividend discount model. In question 4 response, it should have also been recognized that dividend discount models are not useful if any of the parameters used in the model are inaccurate. "
- "feedback: fail to recognize the operating cash flow will not begin until the end of year 3."
- "Answer was correct"
- "Great thanks"
- "Perfect solution..thank you"
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
Some short-answer questions involving the basic vocabulary of string, sound, and water waves.
How well do you understand variables? Test your knowledge of independent (manipulated), dependent (responding), and controlled variables with this 10 question quiz.
This quiz will test your knowledge about basic Physics.
This quiz is designed to test and improve your knowledge on Classical Mechanics.
This quiz is for any area of science. Test yourself to see what knowledge of nanotechnology you have. This content will also make you familiar with basic concepts of nanotechnology.