Please refer to the attachment for complete questions (with figures/diagrams).
3.7) Compute the moment of the 100-lb force about A, (a) by using the definition of the moment of a force, (b) by resolving the force into horizontal and vertical components, (c) by resolving the force into components along AB and in the direction perpendicular to AB.
3.43) A force P of magnitude 25 lb acts on a bent rod as shown. Determine the moment of P about (a) a line joining points C and F, (b) a line joining points O and C.
3.69) The 12-ft boom AB has a fixed end A, and the tension in the cable BC is 570 lb. Replace the force that the cable exerts at B by an equivalent force-couple system at A.
4.63) A 7-ft boom is held by a ball and socket at A and by two cables EBF and DC; cable EBF passes around a frictionless pulley at B. Determine the tension in each cable.
4.65) The horizontal platform ABCD weighs 60 lb and supports a 240-lb load at its center. The platform is normally held in position by hinges at A and B and by braces CE and DE. If brace DE is removed, determine the reactions at the hinges and the force exerted by the remaining brace CE. The hinge at A does not exert any axial thrust.
4.82) A block of mass m = 20 kg rests on a rough plane as shown. Knowing that alpha = 25 degree and mu_s = 0.20, determine the magnitude and direction of the smallest force P required (a) to start the block up the plane, (b) to prevent the block from moving down the plane.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 4:16 am ad1c9bdddf
Step by step solutions provided.
Fluid Mechanics: Static and Dynamic Pressures
1. A laboratory receives a sample of a metallic alloy composed of aluminum and magnesium. The sample is a solid cylinder with a diameter of 2 cm and a length of 5 cm. Its mass is 15.70 g. What is its density? What is its specific gravity?
2. A boat has a dry weight of 3500 lbs. How many liters of water does it displace?
3. A steel pipe runs vertically from the floor of the ocean to the surface. The pipe is empty -- that is, contains air at atmospheric pressure . What is the water pressure on the pipe 200 m below the surface? At that point, what is the force on 1 cm^2 of the pipe wall? (Density of seawater = 1.03 kg/L)
4. Water is flowing through a circular pipe with an internal diameter of 1 meter, at a rate of 0.5 m3/s. What is the water's flow velocity? What is its dynamic pressure?
5. The static water pressure at point 1 in a pipe is 100 kPa, and the fluid velocity is 2 m/s. At point 2 downstream, the pipe widens and the velocity decreases to 1 m/s. What is the static pressure at that point? The usual assumptions concerning laminar flow, no friction losses, incompressibility, etc. all apply.View Full Posting Details