Could you give me an example of how you use critical thinking in your profession? I need to come up with some examples from my profession, but I'm kind of stuck and would appreciate your feedback.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 7:51 pm ad1c9bdddf
1. Could you give me an example of how you use critical thinking in your profession? I need to come up with some examples from my profession, but I'm kind of stuck and would appreciate your feedback.
It depends somewhat how you define critical thinking. However, most would agree that critical thinking is used in most decision-making processes, although a person might not think about using critical thinking. It is about using techniques to foster critical thinking, such as probing, reflecting, and problem identification, setting goals, choosing from alternatives. It is about critically analyzing the solutions in terms of potential consequences and benefits. Critical thinking is about structuring an argument, judging credibility of a source or making better decisions. As a result, using and fostering critical thinking skills result in more effective analysis, communication and leadership, through effective decision-making. (1)
Thus, in problem solving in all professions, critical thinking first focuses on re-framing issues so that the right problems are addressed, distinguishing systematic patterns from random events, and identifies acceptable risks in alternative decisions. (2)
For example, one approach is using the following steps, which involve critical thinking in each step e.g. critically analyzing the problem and values at stake, setting and analyzing alternatives, and then deciding the best fit between the alternatives and goals. The steps are:
· Step One. Identify the problem, the values at stake, and set goals to achieve them.
· Step Two. Gather information to understand the context in which the goals are to be achieved. (eg. What do we need to consider?)
· Step Three. Create alternative ways to achieve the goals. (e.g. How can we achieve our goals? Let's brainstorm some ideas.)
· Step Four. Critically analyze the alternatives, and decide which one best meets the goals. (e..g, what is the risk involved? Is it acceptable?)
Once the process is complete, the decision is ...
By example, this solution explains how a person could use critical thinking in her or his profession. Three examples are provided.