1. Determine if the number in the box is a solution of the equation. 1/2x+5=5+1/4x; I3I
2. Solve the equation:y - (5 - 3y) = 7(y - 3) - 3
d. An identity
3. Solve the equation. 0.06P + 0.08(2000 - P) = 60
d. An identity
4. Solve the given formula for y: -3x + 4y = -24.
b. y= -6+4/3x
c. y= -6-3/4x
5. The ideal height H (in inches) of a man is related to his weight W (in pounds) by the formula H=W+190/5
a. Solve for W.
b. If a man has a height of 62 inches, how much should he weigh?
6. Find x and then find the measure of each marked angle (we know from geometry that they're equal). (5x-70)degrees (8x-130)degrees
a. x = 10; each angle measures 20°
b. x = 20; each angle measures 30°
c. x = 20; each angle measures 20°
d. x = 10; each angle measures 30°
7. Translate the following sentence into an equation. (Do not solve.) The quotient of a number p and 3 yields 14 more than twice the number.
8. If 5 is subtracted from half a number, the result is 6 less than the number itself. Find the number.
9. The sum of three consecutive odd integers is 123. Find the integers.
a. 41, 41, 41
b. 39, 41, 43
c. 40, 41, 42
d. No solution
10. The sum of the measures of an angle and one third a second angle is 72°. If the angles are complementary (meaning that they sum to 90 degrees), what are their measures?
a. 43°, 47°
b. 63°, 27°
c. 99°, 81°
d. 18°, 162°
11. The selling price of an article is $30. If the markup is 22 % of the cost, what is the cost of the article?
12. Three hours after a car leaves Atlanta traveling at an average velocity of 70 mph, a highway patrolman leaves from the same starting point to overtake the car. If the average velocity of the patrolman is 100 mph, how far from Atlanta will the patrolman travel before he overtakes the car?
a. 210 mi
b. 700 mi
c. 420 mi
d. 300 mi
13. How many liters (L) of a 25 % acid solution must be added to 9 L of an 60 % acid solution to obtain a 40 % solution?
a. 12.0 liters
b. 6.0 liters
c. 9.0 liters
d. 6.8 liters
14. Solve and graph the solution set. If the solution set is empty, write Ø for the answer. - 6x + 5 < -7 or 3x + 1 < -5
a. -2 < x < 2
c. x < -2orx > 2
d. x <-2orx >2
16. Solve the inequality and write your answer in interval notation. If the solution set is empty, write Ø for the answer.
c. All real numbers,
17. Translate the statement into an inequailty. Many families preserve their fresh vegetables from the garden by canning them. To do this, they use glass jars especially made for canning along with a pressure canner. When you can vegetables you can not reach a pressure p of 15 pounds or higher.
a. p < 15
b. p > 15
c. p <12
d. p >12
18. When the variable cost per unit is $18 and the fixed cost is $190,000, the total cost for a certain product is C = 18n + 190,000 (n is the number of units sold). If the unit price is $21, the revenue R is 21n. What is the minimum number of units that must be sold to make a profit?
19. Solve the equation. 1/6x+2=3
a. -30 < x <6
b. x = 6, -30
c. x = 6
d. x = -30
20. Jill is 9 kilometers away from Joe. Both begin to walk toward each other at the same time. Jill walks at 2.5 kilometers per hour. They meet in 2 hours. How fast is Joe walking (in kilometers per hour)?
Solving equations is provided in the solution.