Purchase Solution

Probability of Rain as a Linear Function

Not what you're looking for?

Ask Custom Question

Can you please help me with these two word problem-examples? (Rental Charge)
1) The charge C for renting an air hammer from Taylor Rentals is a linear function of the number n of days in the rental period. The charge is $113 for two days and $209 for for five -days. Write C as a linear function of n. What would the charge be for five days??
(Probability of Rain)
(2) When the probability p of rain is 90%, the probability of q that it does not rain is, 10%. When the probability of rain is 80%, then the probability that it does not rain is 20%.

I need to know exactly how to break these problems down and if you could explain in detail step by step for this process.

Purchase this Solution

Solution Summary

The solution determines the probability of rain as a linear function.

Solution Preview

A linear function is always written in teh form f(x) = ax + b, where a and b are constants to be determined.
Here we have C(n) = an + b
For n = 2, C(2) = $113
Therefore, 113 = 2a + b ....(i)
For n = 5, C(5) = $209
Therefore, ...

Purchase this Solution


Free BrainMass Quizzes
Solving quadratic inequalities

This quiz test you on how well you are familiar with solving quadratic inequalities.

Multiplying Complex Numbers

This is a short quiz to check your understanding of multiplication of complex numbers in rectangular form.

Probability Quiz

Some questions on probability

Geometry - Real Life Application Problems

Understanding of how geometry applies to in real-world contexts

Exponential Expressions

In this quiz, you will have a chance to practice basic terminology of exponential expressions and how to evaluate them.