When challenging the admissibility of the digital evidence, the defense examiner will evaluate the authentication and chain of custody techniques used. The federal law enforcement agency would like your company, AB Investigative Services (ABIS), to identify in a report the possible authentication and chain of custody techniques acceptable in the investigative process, including issues relating to First and Fourth Amendment privacy issues with respect to computer-related technologies.
Begin the report with a one page overview of the forensics process and the steps taken by an examiner related to identity theft and computer crime.
two recommended examples of authentication acceptable in the investigative process of identity theft
two recommended examples of chain of custody techniques of digital evidence.
what is considered legal or illegal under the guidelines of the First and Fourth Amendments in relation to the identity theft investigation
Cite your sources using APA style.
Overview of the forensics process:
1. The examiner will take is establishing some chain of custody. It is important that examiner knows where any items related to the investigation will be located at all times.
2. The examiner will catalog all relevant information including active, archival and latent data. Any kind of information that has been deleted can be recovered if at all possible and any encrypted information or information that is password-protected will be identified.
3. The examiner will look for both exculpatory and inculpatory evidence to analyze and interpret all of the information in order to determine what can be used as evidence.
4. A written report will then be submitted to the client with whatever findings and comments the investigators have.
5. The investigator will provide expert witness testimony at a deposition, trial, or some other form of legal proceeding.
2 recommended examples of authentication acceptable in the ...