Define and discuss the history and significance of Elmira and its effect on parole in the United States. Discuss the history and downfall of the Auburn/New York system. What lessons were learned from Elmira? What lessons were learned from Auburn/New York?
An overview of both the Elmira and Auburn Systems is provided below:
- Elmira Reformatory opened in Elmira, NY in 1876 and was the first U.S. reformatory.
- It was based on the principles of the Irish system, indeterminate sentencing, and parole.
- Elmira Reformatory was geared toward first-time offenders who were between age 16 and 30.
- Inmates served indeterminate sentences and could earn early release through good behavior.
- Inmates were required to meet specific goals with regard to education and behavior. Participation in educational programs and vocational training was required.
- For inmates who ...
A description and significance of Elmira on parole in the United States are examined. The lessons learned are provided.