Describe the make-up of American soldiers during Vietnam. As the antiwar movement deepened, how did soldiers protest the war? Evaluate the conditions soldiers returned to in America following their service.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 20, 2018, 6:31 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/history/vietnam-war/makeup-american-soldiers-during-vietnam-452285
American soldiers were comprised of a cross-section of Americans overall. According to U.S. War Dogs Inc, an organization of former and current U.S. Military canine handlers, the following is a snapshot of the makeup of American soldiers during Vietnam.
"RACE AND ETHNIC BACKGROUND
1. 88.4% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Caucasian; 10.6% (275,000) were black; 1% belonged to other races.
2. 86.3% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasian (includes Hispanics); 12.5% (7,241) were black; 1.2% belonged to other races.
3. 170,000 Hispanics served in Vietnam ; 3,070 (5.2% of total) died there.
4. 70% of enlisted men killed were of North-west European descent.
5. 86.8% of the men who were killed as a result of hostile action were Caucasian; 12.1% (5,711) were black; 1.1% belonged to other races.
6. 14.6% (1,530) of non-combat deaths were among blacks.
7. 34% of blacks who enlisted volunteered for the combat arms.
8. Overall, blacks suffered 12.5% of the deaths in Vietnam at a time when the percentage of ...
The solution uses reasoned explanation backed up by statistics to uncover the groups of peoples that made up the American army during the Vietnam conflict in 685 words with references.