Understanding history can be more difficult than many people imagine. Historians concern themselves not only with what happened but with why it happened. They analyze and assess a variety of sources, including primary sources (ones created during the time period the historian is examining) and secondary sources (ones written by other historians after the period), to create their own interpretations of the past. For the Final Paper, students will not only learn about the past, but also experiment with the interpretive, analytical methodologies of the historian.
Choose from one of the topics below and review its history from 1865 to the present. Select six specific events or developments that span the years covered by this course, based on their impact on the topic and write a thesis. Your thesis should summarize the main conclusions that you drew while researching your topic and that you will support by creating a logical argument based on evidence (sources). In your paper, make sure to connect each of the events or developments you have chosen back to your main thesis
For example, a paper about African Americans might choose the Harlem Renaissance and the Black Power Movement as two of its events. In that case, the paper would provide basic information about the two movements. It would explain what each one revealed about the role of African Americans in broader American society in, respectively, the 1920s and the late 1960s, explain how and why the roles of African Americans in the 1920s differed from their roles in the late 1960s, and explain how events in the 1920s may have contributed to developments in the later decade.
The topic I chose is African American could you please assist me with choosing two events that can be connected, to help with writing my research paper.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:16 am ad1c9bdddf
I had a great idea for you entitled 1864 to 1964: Freedom To Equality
In 1864, the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution is ratified prohibiting slavery. This, as you know, not only freed all people from slavery but gave them US citizenship which included the same civil liberties that everyone else enjoyed including life, liberty, ...
The expert explains how events in the 1920s may have contributed to developments in the later decade.
Help needed to complete an assignment
Please help me to complete these paragraps. I am not american. I am just international students, so that is a little bit hard to me. Please think about what I am international students, when you write these papragraps. Thanks.
The assignment will be 2 -4pages in length, typed, 12 point font and standard margins. Each of the possible assignments will strive to connect you (the student) with sociology in your everyday environment. Most of the assignments require you to do some research, experiment or reading but all require your thoughtful response. Please use these assignments as an opportunity to use what you are learning in class to analyze society and relationships, not just your personal experiences.
OPTION 1: CREATE A RESEARCH MODEL
This will include a research question, literature review, hypothesis, research design review and obstacles you think could inhibit your research.
1. RESEARCH QUESTION: PLEASE LIST ONE QUESTION THAT YOUR RESEARCH WILL STRIVE TO ANSWER. PLEASE INCLUDE A SHORT SUMMARY (NO MORE THAN 1-2 PARAGRAPHS OF WHY YOU THINK THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE TO RESEARCH)
2. LITERATURE REVIEW: PLEASE LIST 5 ARTICLES THAT DEAL WITH YOUR RESEARCH QUESTION (USE THE STYLE OF CITING YOU ARE MOST FAMILIAR WITH) AND 1-2 SENTENCES FOR EACH OF WHY YOU THINK THIS ARTICLE MAY BE IMPORTANT TO YOUR RESEARCH
3. HYPOTHESIS: SHOULD BE WRITTEN AS A STATEMENT THAT CAN BE PROVEN OR DISPROVEN.
4. RESEARCH DESIGN: INCLUDE HOW YOU PLAN TO TEST YOUR HYPOTHESIS AND GIVE AN EXAMPLE OF QUESTIONS YOU PLAN TO USE IF YOU ARE PLANNING INTERVIEWS OR SURVEYS
5. OBSTACLES: LIST OBSTACLES THAT COULD INHIBIT YOUR RESEARCH (FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU ARE RESEARCHING INCREASED SHARK BITES BEING DUE TO PEOPLE FEEDING THEM, ONE OBSTACLE COULD BE THAT YOU DO NOT LIVE NEAR AN OCEAN TO CONDUCT YOUR RESEARCH)
OPTION 2: MUSIC ANALYSIS
Pick 1 song from the American Top 40 website at http://www.at40.com/. Listen to the song and look up the lyrics to the song. Then, answer the following questions.
1. Why did you pick this song?
2. What themes are found in the lyrics?
3. Examine the norms that the lyrics promote and discuss.
4. Do you think this music may have a cultural impact on Americans? Why or why not?
OPTION 3: "BREAK A NORM" DAY
Pick 1 "norm" that you can break (nothing that is against any University policy or against any law). Summarize your experience and tell what "norm" you chose to break and why. Indicate when, where and how you carried out this task. Then, answer the following questions.
1. How did you feel while breaking a "norm"?
2. What were the reactions of those around you?
3. Did others do anything that reinforced what your behavior should have been (reinforcing the "norm")?
OPTION 4: BOOK REPORT
Pick one book listed in your text (or another book approved by the instructor). Summarize the book and indicate how it relates to Sociology. Use concepts and/or perspectives from the text to show your understanding of this linkage.
The book is
SOC 2011. Jon Witt. 2010. McGraw Hill
OPTION 5: RESEARCH SUBCULTURES & CRIMINAL ACTIVITY
Pick one subculture, found within the United States to research. Research the history of the group and where the group is today. Learn about current practices, beliefs and rituals of the group.
Then, research the frequency of crime committed in that subcultural group. Discuss how socialization processes may affect their incidence of deviance and crime.
OPTION 6: GENDER ROLES
Visit a store that sells items for children. Go to the children's department (clothing or toys) and observe the environment. Answer the following questions:
1. Describe the environment, such as: store name, location, what department, items sold, color of items, characters on items, department decorations/colors, etc. Observe and note any children in the department and their actions.
2. Describe how you think the store and/or children's items sold do or do not teach children gender roles/expectations.
3. How does what you have seen link back to concepts learned in Sociology.
OPTION 7: AGING AND ARTHRITIS
Take popsicle sticks and tape them to your fingers to make splints. Wear the splints for a period of time (determined by your own comfort level and activities planned). Answer the following questions:
1. Research arthritis and summarize what it is.
2. Describe when and where you wore the splints and how the splints made your hands feel.
3. Describe how the splints affected your daily activities
4. Describe your thoughts and perceptions on aging and how people may be discriminated against due to their age/physical limitations related to age. Give examples.