Some sample guided questions to understand the novel "The Lord of the Rings".© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 24, 2021, 4:42 pm ad1c9bdddf
I have provided a series of questions in two formats: essay-type and multiple choice. The answers to the multiple choice questions are on the last page, but I leave the essay-type answers to YOU!
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
1. What elements of Christianity appear in The Lord of the Rings?
a) Is The Lord of the Rings a Christian allegory? Why/Why not?
2. Together, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams were known as the Inklings. If you have read work(s) by any of these other authors, compare it/them with Tolkien's work.
a) How are they similar, and how are they different?
b) What influence did these other authors have on Tolkien's works?
3. How did Tolkien's life influence his books?
4. Would Tolkien agree with the phrase "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"? Why/Why not.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NOVEL:
1. In The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien drew on old traditions of mythology, legend, and folklore. What changes did he make to these old traditions to make them acceptable to a "modern" audience?
The Lord of the Rings study guide is provided.