What is a constructivist learning environment? What are the advantages and disadvantages involving the implementation of constructivist learning environments?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 11:46 pm ad1c9bdddf
Let's take a closer look. I also attached two articles, some of which this response is drawn, for further reading.
1.What is a constructivist learning environment?
Constructivism is the classroom is a relatively recent phenomenon primarily derived from the work of Swiss developmental psychologist Jean Piaget (1973) and Russian psychologist Lev Vigotsky (1978) (Matthews, 2003). It is a learning environment that incorporates the principles of constructive theory into the classroom e.g. personal relevance, scientific uncertainty, critical voice, shared control and student negotiation. For example, based on her review of the constructivist learning environment literature, Murphy (1997) provided a synthesis and summary of the characteristics of constructivist learning and teaching:
1. Multiple perspectives and representations of concepts and content are presented and encouraged.
2. Goals and objectives are derived by the student or in negotiation with the teacher or system.
3. Teachers serve in the role of guides, monitors, coaches, tutors and facilitators.
4. Activities, opportunities, tools and environments are provided to encourage metacognition, self-analysis -regulation, -reflection & -awareness.
5. The student plays a central role in mediating and controlling learning.
6. Learning situations, environments, skills, content and tasks are relevant, realistic, authentic and represent the natural complexities of the 'real world'.
7. Primary sources of data are used in order to ensure authenticity and real-world complexity.
8. Knowledge construction and not ...
This solution explains the various components of a constructivist learning environment, as well as the advantages and disadvantages involving the implementation of constructivist learning environments. Supplemented with two articles on the topic for further research. References in APA format.
Constructivist Learning Environments/Instructional Design Methods
Just need your opinion and guidance on the following:
1. To encourage the use of integrating technology within instruction, how would you introduce teachers/trainers/instructors to new instructional design methods and strategies?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages involving the implementation of constructivist learning environments? Have you ever taught in a constructivist learning environment? If so, tell us about it. Have you ever been a learner in a constructivist learning environment? If so, tell us about it. If not, do you think you would like it or not?View Full Posting Details