1. In a 1-page paper, discuss the effects of divorce on children.
THIS SHOULD BE 2 SEPERATE ARTICLES. THANK YOU© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 19, 2018, 8:46 pm ad1c9bdddf
EFFECTS OF DIVORCE ARE DEVASTATING ON CHILDREN
Mounting evidence in social science journals demonstrates that the devastating physical, emotional, and financial effects that divorce is having on these children will last well into adulthood and affect future generations. Among these broad and damaging effects are the following:
· Children whose parents have divorced are increasingly the victims of abuse. They exhibit more health, behavioral, and emotional problems, are involved more frequently in crime and drug abuse, and have higher rates of suicide.
· Children of divorced parents perform more poorly in reading, spelling, and math. They also are more likely to repeat a grade and to have higher drop-out rates and lower rates of college graduation.
· Families with children that were not poor before the divorce see their income drop as much as 50 percent. Almost 50 percent of the parents with children that are going through a divorce move into poverty after the divorce.
· Religious worship, which has been linked to better health, longer marriages, and better family life, drops after the parents divorce.
DIVORCE CREATES STRESS FOR CHILDREN BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. The family they have always known will be different.
One of the biggest fears for children is change. With divorce, changes will occur in many household responsibilities. Children may have to adjust to new schedules, new homework, mealtime, and bedtime routines. They may no longer have contact with some friends and extended family members (such as grandparents or cousins).
2. Loss of attachment.
Children become attached to parents, brothers, ...