I have searched the web, including HSDB, and EPA.. but am having difficulty finding some question regarding Sodium dichromate (Chromium (VI)) on cattle, fish, humans, and the enviro.
The questions I have are:
1.) Finding the methods of calculating or assessing the effects of Sodium dichromate
2.) Is there also an analytical methods for measuring the effects in these areas.
3.) What the "mechanism of action" would be for Chromium.
4.) And the parameters used for toxicity in the above areas... fish, cattle, human and the enviro.
I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer in helping me.
Extra info that might help Scenario.
An environmental accident has occurred where 120 km of asphalt-paved road has been coated with sodium dichromate.
1. Along the side of this 120 km stretch of road is local general store service station.
2. If it rains the water will move the sodium dichromate into the roadside ditches, into dugouts and a small creek flowing with spring runoff.
3. The roadway ditches inter-connect with the dugouts used for both domestic and livestock water.
4. Some of the dugouts have been stocked with rainbow trout.
5. One dugout was treated last summer with copper sulfate for control of aquatic plants, currently are now covered with ice.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 4:19 pm ad1c9bdddf
Please see the attached file.
<br>1)-4) it IS soluble and toxic to animals as well, although I could not find "fish specific" number the links include a National Park Service entry that may help. 5) CuSO4 will make the conditions acidic and stabilize the compound keeping it in the system longer (as will cold temps I should think)
The real toxic agent involved ...
General reference information on soluble forms of chromium.
Sodium Dichromate (Chromium) and its effects on the environment
So I have been doing research for a project and am having some difficulty getting started on a particular problem relating to sodium dichromate (Chromium). See attached file.
-120 km of road has Sodium Dichromate spilled on it.
-Possible run off of Sodium Dichromate into side ditch which lead to dugouts.
-Dugouts filled with rainbow trouts.
-One dugout was treated last summer with copper sulfate for control of aquatic plants.
-The dugouts are covered with ice.
-20m from road is a water well.
Question is: what are the possible effects to the fish, cattle, and humans, along with recommendations for the well?
The addition of the copper sulfate is also confusing me.