Normalize to the 3NF the following collections of data attributes, Write the normalized entities in the correct format and underline the attributes which form the primary key(s). Make whatever assumptions that you need to, but document your assumptions.
1) Video Tapes (Title, Director, Actors, Date, Music Tracks, Duration, Theme, Language, Country, Awards, Version, Rating, Format)
- Theme could be Mystery, Romance, Action, etc.
- Version could be Directors Cust, Edited for TV, Unrated, etc.
- Rating could be PG, R, NC17, etc.
- Format could be 16:9, or 4:3.
2) University(StudentID, StudentName, StudentEmail, CourseID, CourseSection, CourseGrade, ProfessorName, DegreeProgram)
- University students are in a degree program and take courses which professors teach.
3) Product(ProductID, PartID, ProductName, PartName, PartQuantity,
- A product is built from many parts.
- Many copies of the same part may be used in one product (ex. 1 inch pan headed screws). PartQuantity is the number of a specific part that is used in a specific product.
This solution has been completed in a detailed and organized fashion. In order to view the response, an attached Word file needs to be opened.
Develop database tables using a relational database system
This is the problem:
Tom Ashton started Ashton Manufacturing Inc (AMI) several years ago. The Company has grown quickly from a small operation to the mid-sized organization it is today. AMI has an opportunity to take on an additional customer. This arrangement will allow AMI to grow to a large organization operating nearly 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Recently AMI has been experiencing significant downtime due to a failing software application written for AMI when the company started. This Access database application is responsible for a key manufacturing process.
Mr. Ashton and his investors are concerned the Company can not grow until the technical infrastructure is in place and functioning properly. AMI has limited funds for IT endeavors but has hired your consulting firm seeking advice.
Prepare a 1-page executive summary including your recommendations to repair or replace the application. Support this summary with a research paper which contains the details behind the summary.
Start by researching Microsoft Access and other prominent RDBMS such as MS SQL Server, Oracle and My SQL. Compare and contrast these systems based on key features such as scalability, ease of implementation (development and support), performance, security and price.
Include a discussion on SQL:
What is SQL?
Who owns SQL?
What are some of the differences in the SQL supported by RDBMS vendors?