The following four requests could come in to an operating system as it is running on a computer system:
1. The clock in the computer has just "ticked", and we need to update a seconds counter.
2. The program running on processor 2 is trying to perform an illegal operation code.
3. Someone pulled the plug on the power supply, and the system will run out of power in 50 msec.
4. The disk has just read the character that passed under the read/write head, and it wants to store it in memory before the next one arrives.
In what order should the operating system handle these requests and why in that order?
Thank you for selecting the OTAs at BrainMass to assist you. Below is a working draft of your assignment and you should now have the tools to aid you in customizing your own work. I hope that you are happy with my dedication to your important assignment. Please be sure to cite any references used herein.
*** NOTE [As stated ...
Solution lists 4 given requests in the order an operating system would deal with them, with brief explanation.
Business Analysis: Design operations, materials management for large computer store
You are the operations managers of a company planning to open a chain of large computer stores in major
cities. You plan to offer small businesses a range of hardware, including servers, PCs, and cell phones, and
software applications that work on both the Windows and Linux platforms. Your business model is to offer
small businesses "one stop shopping." Your designers, salespeople, installers, and service and maintenance
employees will be expected to provide a solution that matches each customer's specific needs.
You are meeting to decide how to design your operations and materials management processes to
provide the best quality solutions at the lowest possible cost.
1. Analyze the problems, issues, and tasks employees will have to solve to best provide such a service
2. Based on this analysis, what kind of work methods and procedures will be needed to achieve your
goals? In particular, what kind of operating system-small-batch, mass, or flexible production-will you
3. How will you organize employees and coordinate their activities?
4. What kinds of materials management techniques will you need to develop to control OMM
costs and yet provide excellent customer service?