A compound contains only C, H, and N. It is 58.51% C and 7.37% H by mass. Helium effuses through a porous frit 6.40 times as fast as the compound does. Determine the empirical and molecular formulas of this compound.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 1:41 am ad1c9bdddf
Provides steps necessary to determine the empirical and molecular formula.
Stoichiometry Example Problems
1. Calculate the emperical formula for a chemical compound which gives the following analysis 12.6 percent lithium 29.2 percent sulfur and 58.2 percent oxygen?
2. The action of bacteria on meat and fish produces a poisonous compound called cadaverine. It is 58.77 percent carbon, 13.81 percent hydrogen, 27.40 percent nitrogen. Its molecular weight is 102.2g/mol determine the molecular formula.
3. Calculate the empirical formula for a chemical compound which gives the following 65.2 g scandium and 34.8 g oxygen.
4. The compound k2sio2. h2o is a hydrated crystal. An empty evaporating dish was weighed and found to have a mass of 61.57g. The hydrated crystal was added and the new mass was 63.71g the evaporating dish with the sample was heated to remove water after heating was found to have a mass of 62.61g What is the correct formula for this hydrating crystal (mw for k2sio3 =154 g/mol and the mw for h20 =18g/mol).
5. A 4 g sammple of the hydrated crystal ba(oh2).h20 is heated until all the water is removed. The remaining solid weighs 2.17g Calculate the formula of the hydrated crystalView Full Posting Details