When you are in a supermarket, which do you usually request, plastic or paper grocery bags? List the advantaged and disadvantages of plastic versus paper bags, and decide which is preferable. Then prepare a latter to the editor of a newspaper clearly stating your position and explaining your reasons for it.
A Web search for "landfills" can bring up high quality information about garbage. If you browse through these sites, you will see that a fair amount of controversy surrounds the plastic materials that can be used to construct the liner. Search for "landfill liners" and check out the plastics involved.
a. Which polymers are now used for liners?
b. What are their drawbacks?
c. Are there new polymers that offer more desirable properties? Cite the author and url of the web sites.
a. Calculate your BMI if you weigh 160 pounds.
One of the reasons that science fiction is successful is that it starts with a known scientific principle and extends, elaborates, and sometimes embroiders it. Perhaps you can be as successful as Michael Crichton was with Jurassic Park. Start by identifying a scientific principle, and then writing an outline (a few paragraphs) for a story based on that principle. Be sure to identify the chemical concepts that you plan to include and any pseudoscience that you might employ.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 4:06 pm ad1c9bdddf
Various Basic Chemistry Problems - Mole, Mass and other Calculations
1) When a mole of C2H4 is combusted it reacts with 3 moles of O2 to produce CO2 and H2O. How many moles of CO2 and how many moles of H2O are produced?
2) What is the mass in grams of 4.25 moles of Mg (NO3)2?
3) The overall reaction producing iron from an ore in a blast furnace is:
Fe2O3 + 3CO --> 2Fe + 3CO2
How many grams of Fe are produced when 275g of Fe2O3 react?
4) Using the bond energy table on page 190 of the text, determine the value of DH for the following reaction:
2F-F + O=O --> 2F-O-F
5) Giving reasons for your answers characterize the following compounds as saturated, or unsaturated, or incapable of existence.
A. CH2 B. C10H22 C. C2H2 D. C2H8 E. C 3H6
6) Determine the empirical formula of the compound that is 87.42% N and 12.58% H by weight.
7) What monomer can be used in an addition polymerization to produce the Polymer Teflon that has a repeating structure as follows:
8) What is the molality of 225g of C6H12O6 in 505 g of H2O?
9) What is the freezing temperature of the solution in question 8?
10) How many joules of energy are needed to raise the temperature of 325.0g of water from 20.0oC to 95.0oC. The specific heat of water is 4.184J/g-oC.View Full Posting Details