(1) Provide a detailed mechanism for reaction 1 and explain why it takes place.
(2) Draw the structure of a reducing agent capable of converting an ester to the corresponding aldehyde. Explain in some detail how this reaction works.
1st Question :
- Amides, RCONR'2, can be reduced to the amine, RCH2NR'2 by conversion of the C=O to -CH2-
- Amides can be reduced by LiAlH4 (Reducing agent)
- Typical reagents: LiAlH4 / ether solvent followed by aqueous work-up.
- Note that this reaction ...
For both (1) and (2) the solution illustrates the mechanism by which the reactions take place.