1. Explain, using appropriate equations, why combustion of fuels containing
a. sulphur leads to production of acid rain.
3. If you initially have 254 grams of a radioactive isotope, how many grams
remain after four half lives?
4. Why can it be said that ozone in the stratosphere is beneficial, but ozone
at the earth's surface is harmful ?
5. A natural body of water has an O2 content of 8.00 milligrams per litre. How many litres of it are needed to decompose the organic
matter in 1.00 litre of wastewater with a biological oxygen demand (BOD) of 137 mg per litre?
1. Combustion is reaction with oxygen, O2. The sulfur in fuels when reacted with O2 form SO2(g) or SO3(g):
S(s) + O2(g) -> SO2(g)
2SO2(g) + O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)
2S(s) + 3O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)
When sulfur trioxide reacts with water in the ...
The solution gives the answers to a mixture of questions about general/basic environmental chemistry.