1. A compound containing titanium (Ti) and chlorine is analyzed by converting all the titanium into 1.20g of TiO2 and all the chlorine into 6.45g of AgCl. What is the simplest formula for the original compound?
2. Estrone is a female sex hormone that is known to contain 80.0% carbon, 8.2% hydrogen, and the remainder oxygen. If 793mL of estrone is found to have a mass of 4.97g at 0.90atm and 200oC, find the molecular formula for estrone Write the correct formula for each of the following ions.
3. Farmers use fertilizers mainly to replace depleted nutrients in the soil. Liquid ammonia and ammonium nitrate are two substances that are used to replace essential nitrogen in the soil. Based on the percentage of nitrogen by mass, which of these two chemicals would be the better fertilizer? Assume that the cost per kilogram of each chemical is about the same.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 7:31 pm ad1c9bdddf
1.A compound containing titanium (Ti) and chlorine is analyzed by converting all the titanium into 1.20g of TiO2 and all the chlorine into 6.45g of AgCl. What is the simplest formula for the original compound?
Convert both these masses into moles through the molar masses:
1.20 g TiO2 (1 mol / 236.36 g TiO2) = 0.00508 moles TiO2
6.45 g AgCl ( 1 mol / 143.34 g AgCl) = 0.0450 moles AgCl
Now for every mole of compound there is one mole of Ti and one mole of Cl so we have:
0.0508 moles Ti
0.0450 moles Cl
We like to round these moles to whole numbers
0.0450 / 0.0450 = 1
0.0508 / 0.0450 = 1.129
1.129 * 7 = 9
 Ti 9 Cl ...
The solution calculates molecular formulas for different chemical compounds.
Compounds & Structural Formulas, etc.
Please see the attached file for full problem description.
A popular brand of low-fat shredded cheddar cheese advertises that it provides 1.5 g of fat with 15 Calories from total fat per serving. There are 50 Calories per serving and of the total fat, 1.0 g is saturated fat. A serving is defined as ¼ cup or 28 g. Is this "low-fat" cheese? Defend your decision with some calculations. Remember that the dietary recommendation is that no more than 30 % of Calories should come from fat.
15. Fructose, C6H12O6, is a carbohydrate.
a. Rewrite the formula for fructose to emphasize the original meaning of the term "carbohydrate."
b. Write a structural formula for one of the isomers of fructose.
c. Do you expect the different isomers of fructose to all have the same sweetness? Explain why or why not.
4. Write the structural formula for each different isomer of hexane, C6H14. Hint: Be sure the bonding really is different, not just a different paper-and-pencil representation in two dimensions of the same structure.
6. For each compound, identify each functional group present and name the class of compounds to which it belongs.
a. CH _ O - CH
b. CH CH - C - OH
c. CH CH - C - CH
3 2 3
d. CH CH - C - NH
3 2 2
9. Histamine causes runny noses, red eyes, and other symptoms in hay fever sufferers. Here is the structural formula for histamine:
H H H
I I N
N - C - C -----/
/ I I ---N
H H H
a. What is the molecular formula of this compound?
b. Identify the amine functional group in histamine.
c. Which part (or parts) of the molecule do you think make the compund water soluble?