1. (a) Express 50 days in seconds (b) Convert 3.75 meter/sec
to km/hr. Express the results in scientific notation.
2. Perform the following operations and express the answer
with the appropriate number of significant figures.
3. The recommended dose of Elexophyllin (a drug used to treat
asthma) is 6 mg/kg of body mass. Calculate the dose in milligrams (mg)
required for a 150lb person?
5. Magnesium has (3) isotopes with mass numbers 24, 25 and 26
(a) write the chemical symbol of each using the established convention
discussed in class. (b) How many neutrons are present in the nuclide of
6. Write the electron configuration for: (a) H, Li, Na, and K
(b) Be, Mg, and Ca (c) Fe, Ni, and Zn
7. The Chemical formula HNO3 (nitric acid) as written
indicates 1 molecule of HNO3 contains_____________atom(s) of N
and___________ atom(s) of O and a total of_____________atom(s). This
compound is called a ________________compound.
8. The formula weight (molecular weight) of nitric acid
9. In the formation of sodium chloride (table salt), the
sodium atom loses an electron and becomes______________charged. The
sodium ion formed is called a_______________. In the process the
chlorine atom gains an electron to become an____________.
10. The mercury concentration in a polluted lake is 0.0125*10 neg 6 mg/L, what is the total mass in kilograms of mercury in the lake is approximately circular with a diameter (d) of 10 miles and average depth (h) of 50 ft? Note that the volume is calculated as follows: V=3.142*(d/2)2*h.
Useful conversion factors: 1000 g=1kg; 1000 mg=1 g
5280 feet=1 mile; 28.317 (L) liters=1 cubic feet
1.(a) Express 50 days in seconds (b) Convert 3.75 meter/sec to km/hr. Express the results in scientific notation.
a.50 Days = 50
x 24 hrs = 1200 hrs
This solution provides an excellent source of practice of chemistry concepts. It helps you solve few basic but important questions from chemistry making your concepts strong.