3) Which structure or structures is or are most valid?
4) Is the octet rule obeyed in all of the structures? If not, how is this possible?
5) What is the hybridization of xenon in each of your Lewis resonance structures?
6) Sketch the phase diagram for acetic acid given the following information: triple point at 289.7K and 1.29kPa; critical temperature=590.7K; critical pressure=5.78MPa; freezing point is 289.8K at 0.1MPa.
7) The van der Waals equation makes two corrections to the ideal gas law, and employs two constants (a and b) that are given the magnitude of the corrections. Explain the trends in van der Waals constants for the noble gases shown in the following table.
Noble Gas a(L^2atm mol^-2) b(Lmol^-1)
He 0.0341 0.02370
Ne 0.211 0.0171
Ar 1.34 0.0322
Kr 2.32 0.0398
Xe 4.19 0.0510
Assorted General Chemistry Problems are solved with full working.
Assorted General Chemistry Problems
1) List the following gases in order of increasing root-mean-square speed, all at the same temperature: H2, He, O2, Ne
2) Under what conditions of pressure and temperature is a real gas most expected to deviate from ideal gas behaviour?
3) What intermolecular interactions would be the strongest between molecules CH2Cl2?
4) List the following substances in order of increasing boiling point: H2O, H2S, H2Se, H2Te.
5) List the following compounds in order of increasing vapour pressure at 298K: pentane (C5H10), ethanol (C2H5OH), water (H2O)
6) Give one example of a molecular solid.
7) The Henry's Law constant for CO2 is 3.1X10^-2 molL^-1 atm^-1 at 298K. What is the concentration of dissolved CO2 in water exposed to an atmosphere of pure CO2 at 2.0atm? Report your answer to two significant figures.
8) What is the molarity of a solution prepared by dissolving 6.21g of glucose (C6H12O6) in 1.50L of water. Report your answer to the correct number of significant figures.
9) List the following solutions in order of increasing freezing points: 0.1 m NaCl(aq), 0.1 m MgCl2(aq), 0.1 m glucose.
10) Define internal energy and enthalpy. What is the difference between the two?View Full Posting Details