3) Which structure or structures is or are most valid?
4) Is the octet rule obeyed in all of the structures? If not, how is this possible?
5) What is the hybridization of xenon in each of your Lewis resonance structures?
6) Sketch the phase diagram for acetic acid given the following information: triple point at 289.7K and 1.29kPa; critical temperature=590.7K; critical pressure=5.78MPa; freezing point is 289.8K at 0.1MPa.
7) The van der Waals equation makes two corrections to the ideal gas law, and employs two constants (a and b) that are given the magnitude of the corrections. Explain the trends in van der Waals constants for the noble gases shown in the following table.
Noble Gas a(L^2atm mol^-2) b(Lmol^-1)
He 0.0341 0.02370
Ne 0.211 0.0171
Ar 1.34 0.0322
Kr 2.32 0.0398
Xe 4.19 0.0510
Assorted General Chemistry Problems are solved with full working.