1) Given the following data table of average bond enthalpies, estimate the ΔH^rxn for the reactions 2H2+O2-- 2H2O
Bond Average (kJ/mol)
2) Draw eight distinct, valid Lewis resonance structures for the molecule XeO3.
3) Which structure or structures is or are most valid?
4) Is the octet rule obeyed in all of the structures? If not, how is this possible?
5) What is the hybridization of xenon in each of your Lewis resonance structures?
6) Sketch the phase diagram for acetic acid given the following information: triple point at 289.7K and 1.29kPa; critical temperature=590.7K; critical pressure=5.78MPa; freezing point is 289.8K at 0.1MPa.
7) The van der Waals equation makes two corrections to the ideal gas law, and employs two constants (a and b) that are given the magnitude of the corrections. Explain the trends in van der Waals constants for the noble gases shown in the following table.
Noble Gas a(L^2atm mol^-2) b(Lmol^-1)
He 0.0341 0.02370
Ne 0.211 0.0171
Ar 1.34 0.0322
Kr 2.32 0.0398
Xe 4.19 0.0510
8) What mass of sucrose, C12H22O11, must be dissolved to make 2.00L of an aqueous solution with an asmotic pressure of 8.0atm at 298K?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com July 19, 2018, 7:32 pm ad1c9bdddf
Assorted General Chemistry Problems are solved with full working.