1. What are the equations for these metals when mixed with 6 M HCl. Ca, Cu, Mg, Fe, Sn, and Zn. (I tried Ca + HCl and got 3 Ca + 6HCl --> 3CaCl2 + 3H2)
2. We have Ca(NO3)2, Cu(NO3)2, FeSO4, Fe(NO3)3, Mg(NO3)2, SnCl4, and Zn(NO3)2. What is the complete equation and net ionic equation when each of these is mixed with Ca, Cu, Fe, Mg, Sn, and Zn. (ex Ca metal is added to Cu(NO3)2)
So there is like 36 outcomes. (I have filled out several of these but not for sure im on the right track) You don't have to fill out all these, just give me enough of a clue what is going on (examples of each would be helpful)
3. Which of these six metals should be the most reactive toward oxygen? (I think Calcium)
4. Which is more reactive, Fe 2+ or Fe 3+, and why? (i believe Fe 3+ is)
5. What are the reactions of :
Na + H2O-->
Na + O -->
Na + HCl -->
Na + Ca 2+ -->
6.Tell which subtance is oxidized and reduced in each equation as well as the oxidizing and reducing agent.
a) 2Al (s) + 3 Cl2 (g) --> 2AlCl3 (s)
b) 8H+ (aq) + MnO4- (aq) + 5Fe 2+ (aq) --> 5Fe3+ (aq) + Mn 2+ (aq) + 4H2O (L)
c) FeS(s) + 3NO3 - (aq) + 4H+ (aq) --> 3NO(g) + SO4 2- (aq) + Fe 3+ (aq) + 2H2O© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 6:20 pm ad1c9bdddf
to 1.) The reactions are as follows:
The reactions can only start if the metal can reduce H+ to H
Ca + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + H2
Cu + HCl --> no reaction, because HCl isn't oxidizing copper
Mg + 2HCl --> MgCl2 + H2
Fe + 2HCl --> FeCl2 + H2
Sn + 2HCl --> SnCl2 + H2
Zn + 2HCl --> ZnCl2 + H2
to 2.) Here we have solid state reactions. The metal with the lower potential reduce the metal ions which have a higher one. You can find values for these oxidation - reduction potentials in tables of Physical- or Electrochemistry.
We have to consider the following cases:
* lower potential of the metal : Mg + Cu(NO3)2 --> Mg(NO3)2 + ...
This solution contains an explanation of how to use the principles of redox pairs (i.e. electrochemistry in aquous phase) when different metals and their ions are put together. Furthermore a step-by-step explanation is given how to find out the reduced and oxidized species in a given reaction containing metals.
An antioxidant's function
Within an response, discuss the following concepts: an antioxidant's function; free radicals and their effect on the human body; sources of vitamin C; optimal delivery system for vitamin C; and precautions for use of vitamin CView Full Posting Details