1. Write a balanced net ionic equation for the reaction of each of the following compounds with water.
(a.) Na3PO 4
2. The following species are amphiprotic. Write the formulas of the corresponding conjugate acids and bases:
3. For each of the following nonaqueous reactions, identify the acid and the base.
(a.) PCl5 + ICl => PCl4+ + ICl2-
(b.) POCl3 + Cl- => POCl4-
(c.) Li3N + 2 NH3 => 3 Li+ + 3 NH2-
4. Will either of the following high temperature gas-phase reactions be feasible? Give your reasoning in each case.
(a.) CuI2(g) + 2 CuF(g) => CuF2(g) + CuI(g)
(b.) CoF2(g) + HgBr2(g) => CoBr2(g) + HgF2(g)
5. Explain the trends in melting point for
(a.) the Group 2 elements
(b.) the Group 17 elements
(c.) the Group 14 elements
Na3PO4 + H2O = 3 Na+ + HPO42- + OH-
NaHSO4 + H2O = Na+ + H3O+ + SO42-
(CH3)3NHCl = (CH3)3NH+ + Cl-
conjugate acid conjugate base
a H2Se Se2-
b PH4+ PH2-
c H2PO3- PO33-
a ICl PCl5
b POCl3 Cl-
c NH3 ...