1) Firstly, identify a team in a medical setting. This team can come from a department, section, work area, doctor's office, laboratory, or any other medical section. The key is to show how teamwork is an important part of working in a health care setting. For example, you could use the operating room, emergency department, physical therapy, cardiac rehabilitation, housekeeping, logistics department, medical triage, billing department, work team, front office, back office, etc. You are not limited to these examples. Use a team example you are familiar with or feel comfortable with through your research or work. Next, write and describe the team you identify. The medical team you chose is not the most important part of this assignment. What is more important is for you to demonstrate your understanding of teamwork the team you choose. In this essay, you need to include answers to the following questions:
1. Is the team intradisciplinary, interdisciplinary, intradepartmental, interdepartmental, a work team, or a combination of these types of teams? Explain your answer.
2. Which professionals would be members of the team?
3. What is the goal of the team? Provide a rationale for your selection.
4. How would each of the professionals on the team contribute to the team reaching the goal?
5. Identify how the team might be organized. Give at least five steps, and a short explanation of each step.
6. What factors might enhance the performance of the team?
7. What are some of the stages of team development? Provide at least two stages. Explain what each one does for the development of the team.
8. Name at least six individual job responsibilities for the team members and leader.
2) Give a brief definition of each of the following types of thinking with an example of where it would/could be used.
Review the case below case and identify the problem(s) you find. You should look for the number one problem. If you find more problems, list them in the order you think they need to be fixed. Then, write a short response on how you came to your conclusion on the problem(s) you found and the order you would want it/them fixed. Explain why you think having a good command of Critical Thinking is important in the field you are studying.
A nurse is told to take patient, Ms. Jones, down to the treatment room and change the dressing on her abdomen from the surgery she had two days ago. When the nurse got the patient to the treatment room, she removed the old dressing and covered the wound with a sterile towel. She then went to the drawer with the sterile dressings, but found none. She also noted that this is not the first time this has happened.
Deductive thinking (reasoning) - As noted by Albrecht, logical thinking is in steps. Deductive thinking is from top to down: Theory - Hypothesis - Observation - Confirmation.
Inductive thinking (reasoning) - This method involves thinking from the bottom up: Observation - Pattern - Tentative Hypothesis - Theory.
The team I have selected is a family medicine practiced, composed of a nurse, a physician, and a receptionist/bookkeeper. The nurse is able to assist patients with medical questions or concerns, under the supervision of the physician, assist the physician, and runs simple in-office tests (vision, hearing, urine.) The physician handles the medical examinations, prescribes medications, orders testing and provides therapeutic and preventive health care services. The receptionist/book keeper schedules and tracks appointments and manages the bills. This is a group of professionals that share in managing the health care of a common patient population and have responsibility for complementary tasks.
The family medicine practice is an interdisciplinary team, those functions as a work team. Each member of the team has his or her own specialty, with some overlap. The team joins together to support the patients, as well as the physician. Each person on the team has some degree of interaction with one another: the receptionist schedules appointments, once the physician sets the operating hours. The nurse is on hand to answer questions, perform onsite testing, and assist the physician. The physician is in charge of examinations and submits paper work for tests to be run (some in office, by the nurse) as well as for billing purposes. The receptionist/bookkeeper bills patients and tracks payables/receivables. Each person on the team depends on the other to get his or her job done. Each person is a professional on the team.
The goal of the team is to provide quality health care for patients in an efficient manner. This is so that patients well-being is managed needs are addressed, and so that they are satisfied with the results of their visit. This will lead them to return in the future. Much of the practices business is based on return visits so satisfied customers are key.
The professionals on the team contribute to the goal in a variety of ways. The receptionist must ensure that patients are allowed adequate appointment time for their health needs. He or she must be pleasant and easy to reach. This ultimately means the receptionist must pick up the telephone quickly and respond to email with a sense of urgency. She or he must greet patients and ensure that paperwork is properly filled out. This is important for bills to be properly processed as well as to give the physician understanding of the patient's needs. The receptionist is also the bookkeeper so it is critical that bills are processed correctly and with haste to maintain cash flow. The nurse must also be pleasant, and flexible in his or her work environment, willing to adjust to the physician's needs and ...
This detailed solution shows how teamwork is important part of working in a health care setting. It describes a team, identifies the type of team it is, which professionals are part of the team, the goal of the team, how each member contributes to the team, factors to enhance performance of team, stages of team development, and job responsibilities for team members.
It also gives definition and example of the following types of thinking: logical, critical, and creative. And it offers suggestions for case study involving prioritizing of problems and finding solutions. APA formatted references are included.