1. Pick a strike that occurred in the U.S. sometime in the last 10 years. What do you think caused that strike? Make sure you point to specific evidence to support your claim. Now suggest how that strike illustrates a general explanation of strike occurrence. Describe what kinds of additional information or data you might need to determine which theory of strikes explains why a strike occurred in the case you selected.
2. Why might the measured relative wage effect of unionism not provide a good approximation of the true absolute wage effect of unionism? What is your opinion? Explain your answer.
3. Discuss the meaning of "progressive discipline". Do you believe that progressive disciplinary systems work? Why or why not? Please explain your answer.
4. Professors Wellington and Winter argued that public employee unions would have excessive bargaining power if extended the right to organize and strike. On what grounds did they make this argument? Give reasons, in your opinion, why their argument may be wrong.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 4:17 am ad1c9bdddf
The strike that occurred in the USA in the last 10 years is the Oakland General Strike that was held on 2nd November 2011. The reason for the strike was stated as economic inequity and corporate greed. In my opinion, the real reason for the strike was increasing unemployment and decline in the income of people under the effect of the economic weakness(Occupy Oakland 2011),. This strike illustrates the Joint cost theory of strikes which proposes that strike activity is inversely related to its costs. In this case the two parties were the citizens of Oakland and the government/corporations. The additional information or data I need is the costs incurred to both the parties by the strike.
The measured relative wage effect of unionism does not provide a good approximation of the true absolute wage effect of unionism. The reason for this is that industries with higher wages ...
The solution gives a 570-word answer with 3 references included on the causes for the Oakland General Strike as well as ideas on the wage effect of unionism and progressive discipline.
Needing help with the outline and some examples or just 1 example of a unionized organization. Choose an organization with which you are familiar that is currently unionized.
Outline the organization chosen by including the following:
1. Provide brief background information on your chosen organization.
2. Identify legal issues and obstacles that this organization could encounter.
3. Determine which federal, state, or local laws could be broken because of these legal issues and why.
4. Provide recommendations to minimize possible litigation.
Write a paper discussing the effects of the union on the chosen organization. Address the following questions:
1. What are the organization's benefits of joining a union?
2. What is the unionization process?
3. How does a union bargain?
4. What effects does union bargaining have on the organization?