I need to write a paper on the overview of Ford Motor Company.
I need the issues below addressed:
The market in which it operates.
The issues and any opportunities the company/industry faces.
Ford is one of the largest carmakers and has a product line of eight different carlines which holds to be very impressive to the vehicle consumer. Some of these brands include Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover etc. It is also involved in financing its products through its subsidiary Ford Motor credit. (www.yahoo.com). The major competitors of Ford are GM, Toyota, Daimler Chrysler, Honda, and Hyundai. Since few years it's facing lot of challenges and its financial performance has also gone down.
1. Major Issues
Ford's last five year growth has not been so impressive, as we see in the following table:
Return On Equity (5-Year Avg.) =3.2 %
Return On Assets (5-Year Avg.) = 0.2 %
Return On Capital (5-Year Avg.)= 0.3 %
The investment returns on equity, capital and assets has been marginal. Also if we compare to its competitors in the following table, its performance has been inferior to the Toyota and Daimler.
General Motors Toyota Motors DAIMLER CHRYSLER
Return On Equity (5-Year Avg.) = -1.7% 12.4 % 4.9%
Return On Assets (5-Year Avg.)= -.2% 4.4% 0.9%
Return On Capital (5-Year Avg.)= -.2% 6.8% 1.5%
Ford is a huge organization and its size and culture is becoming a stumbling block for innovation and growth. Thus its human resource management systems have to be improved as per the best practices of the industry as its performance is not up to the mark. According to Fortune, it's extremely vital that ...
This solution provides a discussion regarding the market in which a company operates as well as issues/opportunities they face.
Issues and Case Analysis
You are to develop the fundamentals of strategic plans for the Ford Motor Company and the Honda Motor Corporation, two giants of the automobile industry. You are to develop SWOT analyses and propose strategies for the two multinational enterprises. In doing so, it will be necessary to research, analyze, and compare both firms to better understand their current position and future plans to increase competitive advantage. Common problems facing each auto giant today are the current economy; the competition of the other auto firms; and the demand for a lower cost, more ecologically friendly, alternative fuel vehicle. Your research should include the following issues for both firms:
- legal, social, and economic environments
- management structure
- operational and financial issues
- impact of potential change factors
- an analysis of strategic intent
- future performance projections for at least five years
- social and external challenges
- current manufacturing facilities and distribution systems
- market demand and demographics
- alternative fuels and propulsion systems
Your document must evaluate, compare and contrast Ford's and Honda's current position on these issues, then respond to the following:
1. Take the perspective of Ford's Director of Strategic Planning to develop a full SWOT analysis of Ford, identifying and explaining at least five factors for each category (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) and propose a complete strategy (implementation, ramification and evaluation) which addresses one of Ford's weaknesses and what you would do about it.
2. Take the perspective of Honda's Director of Strategic Planning to develop a full SWOT analysis of Honda, identifying and explaining at least five factors for each category (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) and propose a complete strategy (implementation, ramification and evaluation) which addresses one of Honda's weaknesses and what you would do about it.
3. If you were Honda, propose a complete strategy (implementation, ramification and evaluation) explaining what would you do about the alternative fuel vehicle issue?
- Do not propose an alternative fuel vehicle strategy for response to questions 1 or 2.
Objective: The Objective of this Assignment will involve the following Criteria with their respective percentages for the Grading Rubric:
- Analyze the relationships between a firm and the political and economic forces within its community.
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze business situations.
- Use effective communication techniques.