Suppose you are part of the following scenario:
- You are a public relations manager who must present information regarding changes in a retail store operations to three sets of stakeholders of a retail clothing chain. The stakeholders are store managers, employees, retail customers and the public. You must explain adjustments that allow employees to come to work on a fewer days a week in an effort to compare rising gas prices and save money on store operations.
- Stores will close on Sundays. On Monday through Saturday, stores will open an hour later and close an hour earlier. Full-time employees, including managers will work for 10 hour days a week. Part-time employees will consolidate their hours in 1-, 2- or 3- day workweeks, deepening on how any hours they are scheduled to work. No stores are closing, but no new stores are opening.
- While constructing your messages, determine the characteristics of your audience and consider the appropriate communication type and style for each audience.
- Develop one paper that contains three parts:
- Complete Part II: Portfolio. Write three messages by selecting one message format for each audience. Explain the changes in the retail store operations. The three messages contain potentially negative information; address the information presented in the scenario so your audience might perceive it in a positive way.
Audiences Message Formats
Store managers A business letter
Store employees A business memo
Retail customers and the public An e-mail message
- Complete Part III: Reflection. Write a reflection on your writing, and compare and contrast the business writings in this assignment with academic papers you have completed.
The messages regarding changes in retail store operations to stakeholders are examined.