Explore the GM website: http://www.gm.com/
1. Characterize GM's commitment to the environment?
2. Do you think this commitment will offset the environmental issues with fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions? Provide support for your opinion.
3. What are GM's real strategic reasons for these environmental initiatives?
1. GM's commitment to the environment
General Motors (2012) is "...committed to continuous improvement as we reduce the environmental impact of our vehicles and facilities. Our culture of environmental responsibility makes us think creatively, consistently innovate, and be leaner and more efficient".
General Motors further laid out these principles (General Motors, 2012):
a. We are committed to restoring and preserving the environment.
b. We are committed to reducing waste and pollutants, conserving resources and recycling materials at every stage of the product lifecycle.
c. We will actively participate in educating the public about environmental conservation.
d. We will vigorously pursue the development and implementation of technologies to minimize pollutant emissions.
e. We will work with all government entities for the development of technically sound and financially responsible environmental laws and regulations.
f. We will continually assess the impact of our facilities and products on the environment and the communities where we live and operate with a goal of continuous improvement.
2. Do you think this commitment will offset the environmental issues with fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions?
A third party group CERES [Centre for Education and Research in Environmental Strategies] made an assessment of General Motors:
"Ceres is a non-profit organization that leads a national coalition of investors, ...
The solution details General Motors commitment to preserving the environmental.