Please provide some assistance writing about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. The questions I need to address are:
- Give a history of the theory.
- What needs as described by Maslow?
- Why is that theory important for managers in today's workplace?
- How can this theory be used to maintain a competitive edge?
- Give an example of how managers can apply this theory in order to manage successfully.
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a theory that is related to motivation, that is, why people do what they do. It is called a hierarchy because there is an order in which people seek things in life, and once the basic necessities are fulfilled, then they tend to move on to the next higher need. This hierarchy is usually pictured as a pyramid for this reason, and it looks like this:
Maslow's Pyramid. (2013)
This theory was first described by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper called "A Theory of Human Motivation". Here it is:
There are six needs as described by Maslow. The lowest and most basic need is for food, clothes, water, shelter. Once that need is fulfilled, then the need for safety is sought, and after ...
The solution discusses Maslow's hierarchy of needs.