The emotion of stress is one that’s virtually unavoidable. It’s a part of the human experience; sometimes, it’s even linked to situations that are otherwise positive. Learning to manage stress, process it, and cope in healthy ways is something that’s learned through experience. Taking time to focus more deeply on how we can reduce the impact of stress is a timely prospect, as World Mental Health Day takes place on October 10, encouraging all of us to educate ourselves on the far-reaching impact of mental health and the significance of mental healthcare in our communities.
For children, who don’t yet have a lifetime’s worth of experience and coping skills, dealing with stress can be especially difficult. When stressors at school or home become overwhelming, they may experience changes in mood and behavior, be less interested in playing or engaging in former hobbies, stop focusing on their studies and extracurriculars, and may even to turn to unhealthy habits such as drugs or alcohol to deal with their feelings. It’s important that both parents and educators know how to spot these signs and what they can do to help children manage their stress effectively.
Helping Kids Feel Less Stressed
If you know something big is going on, talk about it: If there are big changes, major events, or ongoing stressors in a child’s life, make a point to check in with them regularly, having an ongoing dialogue. Let them know it’s okay to share their thoughts and feelings with you without prompting.
If you can help, do so: If there are obvious stress triggers or situations in a child’s life where you can assist or intervene, do so, especially if the stress is toxic rather than typical or tolerable. For normal stressors, help children to develop coping skills like patience and self-care.
Use acceptance, reassurance, and support: Help kids feel better about stressful situations by accepting them as they are, reassuring them that you’re there for them, and acting in ways that tangibly support their needs and reduce their stress.
The impact of childhood stress can be significant, and adult intervention can play an important role in helping children to cope in healthy ways. Take a look at this infographic from We The Parents for helpful tips on sources, signs, and remedies for stress in children.
International development is the belief that different nations have differing levels of progress, be it in terms of economy, health, education, etc. The study of international development is the attempt that developed nations make through the use of tools such as technological advancement, innovation leadership, and such to eradicate poverty and bridge the gap between themselves and developing nations.
Although the concepts of
international relations and international trade have been around for several
centuries, international development is a relatively new idea. It is measured
in several ways, but most commonly by looking at the GDP of a nation.
International development and innovative technology
Whatever the field might
be, technology has irrefutably been at the core of its advancement, and international
development is no different. Recent years have seen a great deal of success in
this field with 1 billion people now lifted above the poverty line since 1990.
This has been encouraging, to say the least, and progress has speeded up
because of it.
specifically innovative technology has claimed much of the credit for this
triumph. From the increased use of mobile phones to assist in business and
banking to oral rehydration therapy in the field of medicine, the digital world
has always come to our rescue.
Innovative technology and its impact
Research indicated a 9%
increase in the number of people (from developing nations) who frequently used
the internet between the years 2013 and 2015. That might seem like a small rise
in figures, but in practicality, these people transformed their lives and
livelihoods through something which most other nations would take for granted.
But broadband and mobile
phones haven’t been the only form of technology that has changed the
development landscape in developing nations, listed below are some of the other
technologies that have had a substantial impact on international development.
During rehabilitation efforts for the people of Haiti following
the 2010 earthquake, 3DP played a key role in the manufacturing of humanitarian
supplies. 3D printers are devices that are capable of printing 3D objects
directly from digital prototypes.
This technology had previously been used for art and other
purposes but recent years have seen its popularity rise in developing nations
because of its convenience and ability to shorten manufacturing processes.
Another instance that this technology was used for international
development was when in 2014 when a non-governmental organization called Field
Ready, again in Haiti, 3d printers were used to print umbilical clamps to
reduce umbilical infections in infants. These clamps could be made in under 8
Internet of things
Internet of things is the incorporation of data communications
technologies into physical objects which can then be controlled remotely. These
objects can also be used to collect data which can then be used for monitoring
A real-life example of this is how the water output and failures
of water pumps in African villages are monitored to help plan out future
investments. Internet of things also has much potential in the field of
medicine, especially since the invention of swallowable camera pills which can
help doctors look inside the patient’s body.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Commonly known as drones, these devices have the benefit of being
low cost and easy to use. The world has seen a steady rise in the use of drones
for various purposes, and now developing nations are realizing the possibility
of their use for development.
A delivery company, known as Zipline, which operates in numerous
African countries, most prominently Rwanda uses fixed-wing drones to deliver
medicine, blood, vaccines and other small medical supplies to difficult areas.
Other instances of the use of drones have been in the form of
Rocket mine which allows a survey of areas and then mapping services to miners,
farmers, engineers, etc., Redline and FlyingDonkey are also delivery networks
that use drones to reach remote and barren areas.
Atmospheric water condensers
Atmospheric water condensers are meshes that are installed which
aim at mimicking the process through which plants and insects convert moisture
into savable water. This is not a recent technology and is rather popular in
dry regions around the world. The first dated use was all the way back in 1960.
“Fog collectors” set up in Chilean villages around the year 1990,
have the capacity of providing up to 331 liters of water per person. Not only
is this water safe for consumption, but it has also aided the villagers to take
up small agricultural practices.
WarkaWater has taken up a similar initiative in Ethiopia and has set up “water towers” made of Warka Tress and other material collected from surrounding regions, to allow locals to combat the shortage of water that they’ve faced for decades.
International development isn’t a simple process, nor is it anywhere near completion. Through active research and innovation, this process can be speeded up and more and more countries and people can be provided with sustainable lifestyles and good standards of living.
The road to success is riddled with many challenges, and even more so when you’re a startup with limited capital and resources. The beautiful thing about success, however, is that it seldom depends on how much money you have at your disposal. It is, more often than not, a product of hard work, dedication, careful planning, and a never-ending quest towards business and office efficiency.
is instrumental in the success stories of large and small-scale
businesses alike as it allows companies to make the most out of their
time and finances. When your processes are streamlined, and your
operations are set up in the most efficient ways possible, you and
your team can accomplish more within a shorter time frame.
how do you become a more efficient startup? These tips should help
you get started.
Use technology to your advantage
people find it more comfortable doing things the traditional way, but
while they do get the job done, there are far more efficient methods.
Incorporating technology into several facets of your operations can
make things easier and finish tasks faster.
management applications, team collaboration platforms, integrated POS
systems, and chatbots are but a few of the many ways that you can use
technology and the Internet to your advantage.
Promote internal process automation
digitalization also means automating as many processes as you can.
Businesses operating in the retail or service supply chain industries
should consider automating monotonous tasks like sending receipts and
invoices, employee-tracking, even their customer service, and
are plenty of apps and programs that you can download on the
Internet, which will help you streamline and better organize several
aspects of your business. Automation is perhaps one of the best
things you can do to improve overall business efficiency. Cutting
down the time you spend on the less essential aspects of your
operations will allow you and your employees to focus more on the
things that matter.
Don’t forget to pause and review your efforts
it’s true that one secret to success is to keep pushing forward, just
as important is knowing when to pause and evaluate your efforts.
Your current strategies may be going well and as planned for you, but
there’s almost always a better way of doing them. If you don’t look
back and assess what you have implemented so far, you’ll miss out
on a lot of opportunities for improvement.
the wide selection of tools and applications available nowadays,
reviewing your processes and strategies shouldn’t be too hard.
Consider outsourcing some tasks
don’t have to do everything on your own, especially if the tasks
concerned requires skills that take some time to hone. Knowing which
responsibilities to outsource can be tricky, but you can start by
determining the competencies of your team. If the cost of mastering a
skill (time, money, energy) is higher than the price of outsourcing,
then you should definitely think about finding a reliable service
You don’t have to say YES to everything
an opportunity and making the most out of it is one thing; saying YES
to every opportunity that comes your way is another. Getting into
something without proper and careful assessment of how it will impact
the business, both in the short and long term, can be
seems to be a great idea at first can go south. You have to think
twice, thrice, and take the right measures before jumping into the
a successful startup is not too far from reach. Just take a look at
the numerous startups that have grown and expanded their ventures
through sheer determination and by improving their business
efficiency continuously increases. As they say, “It’s always
impossible until it’s done.”
Casey Belle is the Content Marketing Specialist for Techaerus, a company that focuses on teaching and implementing proper use of software/hardware within companies and organizations. When not working, she makes use of her time doing yoga and completing her travel bucket list.
Introduction Learning a language can enrich our lives and speaking skills. It is not an opportunity to increase your employability, but also a way to connect with people on a foreign trip. Reading literature can take to the infinite journeys of incredible theories, memorable stories, and cultural interaction. English is one of the languages we all learn in our lives at some point. It is the universal business language. It gives you the confidence to communicate efficiently.
Some people have reservations about learning a new language. They don’t consider it an adequate use of their time and energy. People are more encouraged to take lessons of a language which is widely spoken locally in the area where they are living.
There are numerous benefits of learning the English language. We will look into the advantages people have by learning this language.
1. Communication in a Foreign Language It is exciting to learn a language other than your local language. You are able to connect with the literary personalities of different cultures who spoke English. It is also a great opportunity to communicate to a wider population.
2. Enhanced Problem Solving Skills A lot of people are not aware that if you learn English, you are entitled to increase your learning and problem-solving abilities. It includes creative hypothesis, design, abstract thinking skills and building new concepts. Recent studies have shown that learning the English language stimulates your multitasking skills and aids you to filter out distractions and extra information.
3. Increase Digital Understanding As we all are aware that most of the websites and mobile application are designed primarily in English. Being able to read, write and speak in English makes an individual to abbreviate the gap with modern technology. It is also suggested that English language learners have increased mental ability to get ahead of the technological world and cope up with the constant changes in the digital world. Intelligence assisted by the apt understanding of the English language gives an ability to the person to accommodate the existing realities of the existing institutions.
4. Memorable Travel Experiences English is considered the universal official language of the world. Many countries around the world have English as their official language. Individuals who travel to different countries prefer to speak in English. It is a language of choice and easily understandable. Even the local vendors and employees in customer services of the hotels learn English to adequately cater to the needs of the tourists. It is observed by the travelers that the local individuals are keen to learn English language and enjoy speaking it.
5. Language with Diverse Literary Background Writers from all around the world prefer to write in English as it is a widely spoken and written language. It makes English literature so diverse that it can open new worlds of imagination and give you a unique perspective on everyday issues. English Literature is so fascinating that it caters to all kinds of readers from novels, poetry, science fiction, modernization theories and history of Victorian times. English language enriches your experiences and opens new doors for learning and development for you.
6. Largest Spoken Language English is spoken by 300 million individuals around the globe. It is declared to be the third most commonly spoken language after Chinese and Spanish. 20% of people can read, speak and understand English in the world. Due to its popularity, it is widely learned language by students and professional employees. Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom has English as its Official spoken and written language. It is also used by the United Nations, the Olympic Committee and the European Union as a co-official language.
7. Cultural Perspective of English Language The English Language gives a unique cultural perspective to the non-native speakers of the language. The language opens the window of your soul by giving you an option of studying art, economics, literature, and philosophy. English Comedy is a lot more understanding and entertaining when you are able you understand British culture and customs. Oscar Wilde’s narration of an ideal individual is how he can show his attitude to people he doesn’t like and stills speak to them politely. So, you will never be able to understand the pearls of Oscar Wilde’s writings like “An Ideal Husband” of you are not aware of the English Language.
8. English as a workout for your Brain Recent studies have concluded that learning the English language if you are not a native English speaker can stimulate the functioning of your brain in a positive dimension. As a result, you are gifted with increased creative skills, better problem-solving activities, and a sharper mind. Bilinguals have a great edge in understanding complex concepts and diverse viewpoints of cultures worldwide. One of the studies published in the New York Times suggests that Bilinguals who have higher degrees are more impervious to the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
Conclusion Learning English is an essential feature of these times. It will be there to help you if you have to fill a form, go out for groceries or learn an online course related to your studies. With the advancement of internet, individuals can speak, write and read to each other online. The mode of communication enhances your language skills. English Language has not only hidden treasures of literature but will also help you with your potential employers. So, challenge yourself today to gain the above benefits of taking advantage of learning English. It will be a way of achieving astonishing results.