1. What the last definition of pasteurization according to FDA (2005).
2. List 20 antimicrobials used in food manufacturing and specify the maximum allowance of each one in food.
3. What are bacteriocins, list 5 of them and provide examples of applications in foods.
4. List 5 natural antimicrobials used in food industry and provide examples.
5. What is the value of water activity (aw) in which the growth of Clostridium botulinum is inhibited?
6. What is Intermediate Moisture Food (IMF) and provide 5 examples.
Note: write the references.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 5:08 pm ad1c9bdddf
Here are the answers of your five questions -
Ans1. The recently FDA approved definition of the "pasteurization" is as follows -
"Any process, treatment, or combination thereof, that is applied to food to reduce the most resistant microorganism(s) of public health significance to a level that is not likely to present a public health risk under normal conditions of distribution and storage."
Ans3. Bacteriocins are proteinaceous toxins produced by bacteria to inhibit the growth of similar bacterial strain(s).
Bacteriocins (Lactobacillus) Dairy products such as Cheese
Nisin (Lactococcus lactis) Biopreservation of Sea ...
The solution discusses food microbiology and the definition of pasteurization according to the FDA (2005).