I need answers for the following questions:
1. Why is water essential to health maintenance?
2. What are the functions of water in the body?
3. What happens to the body when it does not get the water it needs?
4. Compare and contrast how different electrolytes - sodium, potassium, and chloride-function in the body.
5. What effects can alcohol and caffeine have on hydration levels in the body?
6. What steps can people take to ensure they do not become dehydrated?
The text I'm using is:
Grosvenor, M. B., & Smolin, L. A. (2006). Nutrition: Everyday choices. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
1. Water makes up about 60 percent of your body weight and is involved in almost every process that is essential for life. It is an extremely important and indispensable solvent for all the body functions . It acts as a solvent in the body for thousands of substances both organic and inorganic. It is essential for the production of digestive juices. It helps in the transportation of digested foods and oxygen throughout the body. Blood which circulates throughout our body comprises of a lot of water. It is essential for all the body cells, as it supplies oxygen without which the cells would die, ultimately leading to death. It also enables the excretion of soluble wastes from the body, and maintains the temperature of our body. Thus, it can be concluded that water is essential for maintaining our health.
2. Water carries out the following functions in the body:
It moistens tissues such as those in the mouth, eyes, nose.
It protects body tissues and organs.
It helps to prevent constipation.
It helps in dissolving minerals and other nutrients to make them available to the body.
It regulates our body temperature, and lubricates the bone tissues and joints, thus protects our body ...
The solution provides in-depth information regarding the significance of water in maintaining the overall health of our body, along with the effects of dehydration.
Chemical Properties of Water in relation to Homeostasis
Water is one of the most vital inorganic substances in living systems. It is the most abundant substance in the human body.
Consider its chemical properties and discuss how they help the body to maintain homeostasis.View Full Posting Details