Biotechnology allows us to use living organisms or their processes for human needs or purposes this topic includes such general examples as cloning,stem cells (adult, umbilical cord, and DNA finger printing, bilogical war fare, biomediation, genetically modified organisms, transgenic plants and animals to name a few).
Research how SPECIFIC biotechnology application within the above GENERAL examples(for ones not listed above) is used today. Example: Insulin production in bacteria is an example under the general of recombiant organisms.
1. What specific biotechnology application did you choose?
2. Briefly describe this biotechnology application.
3. Based upon the definition of biotechnology, describe how your biotechnology application is an example of biotechnology.
4. What benefits are derived from this application?
5. Are there any concerns or negative impacts associated with this use of biotechnology? Why or why not?
choose different biotechnology application from other students.
1. There are several examples in the food world that you can choose: wine, bread, and yogurt are simple ones. Wine and bread use yeast to change the original items (grape juice and wheat flour, respectively) into their finished products while yogurt uses bacteria to change milk into yogurt.
2. In all three cases, the organisms use the original products' sugars for food and then give off byproducts that we use. So the byproduct in the wine is alcohol, the byproduct in the bread is the gas that makes the dough rise, and the byproduct in the yogurt is a decrease in the lactose (milk sugar) which allows people with lactose intolerance to eat ...
This solution briefly describes 3 common biotechnology applications. It goes into more depth using yogurt as an example.