1. Explain what is meant by indicator organisms when testing a water sample.
2. What are the media to determine the presence of the indicator organisms?
3. What are the morphological and biochemical characteristics of theses indicator organisms?
4. Discuss the three major species of Staphlococcus. Explain why one of them is more pathogenic compared to the other two species. Which factor determines the pathogeneisis of the organism?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 4:51 am ad1c9bdddf
1) Explain what is meant by indicator organisms when testing a water sample.
An indicator organism is one that is used to measure potential contamination of environmental sources like water. These organisms are not necessarily harmful themselves, but may indicate that other harmful organisms are present. These organisms are used because they are easy, inexpensive, and reliable to test for. There are several types:
1. Coliforms - Bacteria that are naturally present in the environment, but should not be present in treated water. They are not harmful, but indicate that other problems may be present.
2. Fecal coliform and E.Coli - Indicate that water may be contaminated with human or animal fecal matter (solid waste).
3. Fecal indicators (Enterococci or coliphage) - Same as point 2. Note that coliphage is a virus. These are of particular concern to young children and the elderly.
This solution looks at water quality testing and explores the definitions of indicator organisms as well as there role in understanding and defining water quality and sanitation.
The Uniform and Linen Leasing Company (U&L) environmental problems
The Uniform and Linen Leasing Company (U&L) expansion plans include building a manufacturing facility in a small town in Pell City, Alabama to manufacture cleaning products as well as perform research and development for new products. By locating their facility in this town, U&L will receive substantial tax benefits in return of providing over 600 jobs. The local community members have started campaigns against the building of this facility fearing "a potential for serious environmental problems." Research should be conducted related to environmental problems from similar manufacturing plants for discussion and recommendations to the group in Pell CIty, Alabamba on Air Pollution: What are the accepted levels at Federal, State and how can U&L mitigate possible solutions.View Full Posting Details