1. Jackson Pollock and Rothko (pick one specific paintings for each)
2. Historical background of the period
3. Historical background of the artistic movement (Abstract Expressionism)
4. Artistâ??s biographical information for each works (each of them)
5. In-depth formal analysis (4 main points) about the compositional elements (each of them) ex. How figures are created and not created, uses the space, line, whatever the significant formal element is..
6. Critique of both artworks: a balanced discussion of why the movement/artist/artworks works/fails or both.
I am providing the majority of information in quotation form so that you will know where it comes from. By doing this you may chose your own wording and what information that you would prefer to use. Pollock and Rothko were two artists born into two different parts of the world, but well known for their Abstract Expressionist art. When comparing and contrasting these two artists it is important to not only point out the obvious but to also look into the painting and mention anything that you may also be feeling. It is ok to point out what it says in the book but do not be afraid to let the teacher know what the painting does for you.
1.) When comparing and contrasting modern art I suggest you find two paintings that you like, it will be easier to complete your assignment.
There are many paintings to choose from such as: "No. 1" painted in 1948, "Lavender Mist (number 1)" painted in 1950, "Number 14, 1951" painted in 1951, "Moon Woman Cuts the Circle" completed in 1943, "Autumn Rhythm" painted in 1950. If none of these paintings are in your art book you can go to Google Images and search for them using: Jackson Pollock, the title of the painting, year made (I checked ahead of time and found them all)
A couple paintings to choose from; "Number 3/No. 13 (Magenta, Black, Green on Orange)" painted in 1949, "Number 14, 1960" painted in 1960, "Untitled (Rothko number 5068.49)" painted in 1949, "White and Greens in Blue" painted in 1957. If you do not care for any of these paintings you might find one that you particularly like in Google images.
I chose to use Jackson Pollocks "Lavender Mist" (1950) and Rothko's "Number 14" (1960) as examples.
2.) Historical background of the period:
"Looking back on the forties, the American Painter Barnett Newman recalled that artists of his generation: 'felt the moral crisis of a world in shambles, a world devastated by a great depression and a fierce world war, and it was impossible ...
Using resources to validate, this solution demonstrates Pollock and Rothko parallels.
Abstract /Pop Art characteristics are examined.
1. Discuss the development and characteristics of Abstract Expressionism; be sure to include Gorky, Pollock, and de Kooning in your discussion, using examples of their work as discussed in the text.
2. Discuss the development and characteristics of Pop Art; include Hamilton, Johns, Rauschenburg, and Warhol in your discussion.