1. A statistics class consists of 24 students, all of whom are unemployed in low paying part time jobs. The class also includes a professor who is paid an enormous salary. Which does a better job of describing the income of a typical person in the class of 25 people (including the professor): the mean or median?
2. A sociologist wants to find the mean commuting time for all working US residents. She knows that it is not practical tosurvey each of the millions of working people, so she conducts an Internet search and finds the mean commuting time for each of the 50 states. She adds those 50 times and divides by 50. Is the result likely to be a good estimate of the mean commuting time for all workers?
3. Regular Coke has a mean of 0.819 and a median of 0.8187. Whereas Diet Coke has a mean of 0.7826 and a median of 0.78645. Does there appear to be a significant difference between the two data sets? Explain.
4. Which has more variation: the IQ scores of 30 students in a statistics class or the IQ scores of 30 patrons watching a movie?
5. In the book How to Lie with Charts, the author writes that the standard deviation is usually shown as plus or minus the difference between the high and the mean, and the low and the mean. If the mean is 1, the high 3, and the low -1, the standard deviation is ±2. Is that statement correct?
6. Use the data sets for the following:
cVar for Jefferson Valley
cVar for Providence
Then compare the results
Jefferson Valley 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 7.1 7.3 7.4 7.7 7.7 7.7
Providence 4.2 5.4 5.8 6.2 6.7 7.7 7.7 8.5 9.3 10.0
7. If a data set consists of longevity times (in days) of fruit flies, what are the units used for standard deviation? What are the units used for variance?
8. Three students take equivalent stress tests. Which is the highest relative score?
a. A score of 144 on a test with a mean of 128 and a standard deviation of 34.
b. A score of 90 on a test with a mean of 86 and a standard deviation of 18.
c. A score of 18 on a test with a mean of 15 and a standard deviation of 5
Please see the attachment for
1. Response to each question ...
The solution contains answer of statistics questions. The significant differences between the two data sets are determined.