Measure of central tendency and dispersion allow researchers to analyze data more effectively. A quick serve restaurant chain commissioned a research study on the introduction of a new salad product. The survey asked the respondent for an assessment of the new salad. The questions included a rating from 0 (lowest) to 10 (highest) on several attributes of the new product. A rating of 8.0 and above is considered to be the goal. The following selected results were from a sample of 759 respondents:
Portion Size (8.01/1.81)
Overall Appearance (8.79/1.02)
Overall Freshness (8.80/0.85)
Value for Money (7.51/1.85)
Amount of Ingredients (7.36/1.76).
A survey has been conducted for an assessment of a new salad by a quick serve restaurant chain in which a sample of 759 respondents have been asked to give ratings from 0 (lowest) to 10 (highest) on several attributes of the new product.
The mean rating for the portion size of the salad is 8.01which is above the required goal of 8.0. The standard deviation of the rating for portion size is 1.81. The high value of the standard deviation as compared to the mean indicates considerable amount of dispersion in the rating for portion size of the salad. In ...
The solution discusses the measure of central tendency and dispersion.
Solve: Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
1. How many intervals should there be in a frequency table?
2. What measure of central tendency would be most appropriate for a measurement of salaries if the salaries are normally distributed, why did you choose the measure that you did?
3. What measure of central tendency would be most appropriate for a measurement of salaries when there are a few people in the sample who make over one million dollars, but most of the employees sampled made under $50,000, why did you choose the measure that you did?
4. What measurement of central tendency is most appropriate if you want to measure gender?
5. What measure of central tendency is most sensitive to skewness and which is least sensitive?
6. What are measures of central tendency used for?
7. What are measures of dispersion used for?
8. Variance is the mean of what?
9. What is the difference between the variance and standard deviation of a distribution?View Full Posting Details