I need help to get this assignment going. I am not expecting the expert to complete this assignment for me but at the same time I am not expecting two paragraphs without a reference either. This is not a college level assignment, it is a graduate level assignment. This assignment is on social learning theory and I was asked to write two pages on the following:
I was asked to select two crimes to which learning theory may be applied and reflect on how the general principles of learning theory may apply to them
- Briefly describe the crimes you selected.
- Explain each crime by applying a specific learning theory, using a different theory for each.
- Explain how the principles of learning theory may be used to account for each crime.
- Explain whether or not you think learning theory accounts for criminal behavior in general and why or why not, using specific examples.
* References in APA format will be appreciated and this is a graduate class assignment; the instructor requires more than average writing.
It just so happens that I'm working on a similar project.
I'm going to concern myself here with two major learning theories connected with social psychology. The first, the late 19th century figure V.M. Bekhterev and the contemporary figure Hans Pols, a major psychologist (and well known follower of Emilie Durkheim) teaching at the University of Sydney in Australia.
The two sources are here:
Budilova, E.A. (2003) Social-Psychological Problems in Russian Science in the Second Half
of the Nineteenth Century and Early Twentieth Century. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, vol. 41, no. 1, 5-94.
Pols, Hans. (2003) Anomie in the Metropolis: The City in American Sociology and Psychiatry. Osiris, 2nd Series, Vol. 18, Science and the City, 194-211
Now, to approach the question. The two crimes I'm considering are disturbing the peace and rape. The first is connected with the theory of Bekhterev and the second, Pols/Durkheim. Really, the two learning theories are tightly connected, and crimes can be easily connected with both. But that's typical of the field.
Disturbing the peace is a broad category of crime. It deals with any action that harms the community and includes things like riot, domestic abuse, public drunkenness ...
The expert examines social learning theory and crimes.