Since one quarter of the brain is occupied by frontal lobe, critically evaluate your answer in relation to how "The frontal lobes have more than one function". Discuss, illustrating your answer with reference to at least two possible roles of the frontal lobes.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 15, 2020, 12:30 pm ad1c9bdddf
Please see response attached. I hope this helps and take care.
1. Can you please enlighten more on the definition and structure of the brain?
The frontal lobe is an area in the brain of vertebrates. Located at the front of each cerebral hemisphere, frontal lobes are positioned in front of (anterior to) the parietal lobes. The temporal lobes are located beneath and behind the frontal lobes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_lobe
Some sources list the functions slightly different (e.g., sexual, etc.), but most would agree on the following functions:
• Motor Functions
• Higher Order Functions
• Impulse Control
• The frontal lobes are the anterior portion of the cerebral cortex.
Images of Structure of the Frontal Lobe: (click)
• Frontal Lobe
• MedSci: Frontal Lobe
See diagram below:
Example 1: A more detailed explanation of the various sections of the frontal lobe - complexity helps to explain the numerous functions of the frontal lobe
On the lateral surface of the human brain, the central sulcus separates the frontal lobe from the parietal lobe. The lateral sulcus separates the frontal lobe from the temporal lobe.
The frontal lobe can be divided into a lateral, polar (frontalmost), orbital (above the orbit; also called basal or ventral), and medial part. Each of these parts consists of particular gyri:
• Lateral part: Precentral gyrus, lateral part of the superior frontal gyrus, middle frontal gyrus, inferior frontal gyrus.
• Polar part: Transverse frontopolar gyri, frontomarginal gyrus.
• Orbital part: Lateral orbital gyrus, anterior orbital gyrus, posterior orbital gyrus, medial orbital gyrus, gyrus rectus.
• Medial part: Medial part of the superior frontal gyrus, cingulate gyrus.
The gyri are separated by sulci. E.g., the precentral gyrus is in front of the central sulcus, and behind the precentral sulcus. The superior and middle frontal gyri are divided by the superior frontal sulcus. The middle and inferior frontal gyri are divided by the inferior frontal sulcus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_lobe
• 2 Function
• 3 Psychosurgery ...
This solution elaborates the definition and structure of the brain. It critically evaluates how "The frontal lobes have more than one function" in terms of roles. Thirteen references are provided for further inquiry.